Re: Mail aliases and routing

Juergen Weiss ( (no email) )
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:20:23 +0200

-----Urspr+APw-ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: David Payer
Datum: Freitag, 21. August 1998 17:14
Betreff: Re: Mail aliases and routing

+AD4-Subject: Re: Mail aliases and routing
+AD4APg-Ok. Lets say A in New York is sending Mail to B here in
+AD4APg-(Germany) and on my mailserver for I have configured an alias
+AD4APg-(forwarding) from to annother address in Tokio (C)
+AD4APg-The question is if the mail travells from New York to Binau and then from
+AD4APg-Binau to Tokio, causing twice the traffic on my internet-connection
+AD4-Yes it is.

Thanks for this answer. I expected that, but its always better to hear
someone else saying the same.

+AD4-You may want to simply give it the Tokyo address in the page/function that
+AD4-is sending it to you. Or do your traffic by websites (making a reference to
+AD4-a file but not sending it in the email). I encourage my customers to use
+AD4-alternative means of transport than SMTP for files over 1.5 meg because
+AD4-various systems have limits. I encourage them to put the files up on their

I am trying the same thing. Right now I am developping a database driven
ASP-solution where my customers can make their dataexchange with large files
very easy through the browser.
But its not so easy to convince them. Maybe I 'll have to wait until Germany
reaches same internet-acceptance-level than the US.

Thanks again