[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 00:00:45 -0700

Message 1: OT: Anyone selling used Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 ?
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 2: Re: newbies ISP setup
from "Amitai Rottem" <rottem@ibm.net>

Message 3: Re: newbies ISP setup
from Barry Buchholz <bearb@mintcity.com>

Message 4: Re: Default page on IIS
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 5: RE: Default page on IIS
from "Richard Lachance" <richard@vircom.com>

Message 6: NT Management
from Patrick Patterson <pj@ctt-inc.com>

Message 7: RE: NT Management
from "Richard Lachance" <richard@vircom.com>

Message 8: backup software
from Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>

Message 9: Re: backup software
from "Sam Lowe" <slowe@universalcom.net>

Message 10: IIS processor power
from Brian Lube <brian@mpinet.net>

Message 11: PRI ORDERING QUESTIONS
from Mark DeWar <inetmail@fiber-net.com>

Message 12: RE: backup software
from "Bill Fisher" <Bill@ExcelSoft.com>

Message 13: RE: PRI ORDERING QUESTIONS
from "Bill Fisher" <Bill@ExcelSoft.com>

Message 14: RE: backup software
from Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>

Message 15: Re: IIS processor power
from mwagers@teamhuber.com

Message 16: Re: PRI ORDERING QUESTIONS
from mwagers@teamhuber.com

Message 17: adding/replacing individual ODBC drivers
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 18: RE: backup software
from "Bill Fisher" <Bill@ExcelSoft.com>

Message 19: Re: IIS processor power
from "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>

Message 20: RE: backup software
from Jeff Woods <jwoods@delta.com>

Message 21: Re: adding/replacing individual ODBC drivers
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 22: ISDN & Stuff - Questions
from John Lange <radadmin@palacenet.net>

Message 23: RE: ISDN & Stuff - Questions
from "Lamar Townsend" <lamar@shuttle.com>

Message 24: Two questions please
from "David Thake" <dthake@davmar.com.mt>

Message 25: RE: Two questions please
from "Matthew Andersen" <mander@logi.net>

Message 26: Re: Two questions please
from "David Thake" <dthake@davmar.com.mt>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: OT: Anyone selling used Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 ?
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:17:03 +0800

Hello.

Is anyone here selling any used Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 ? I need them to
come with media and Certificate of Authenticity.

- Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: newbies ISP setup
From: "Amitai Rottem" <rottem@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:23:55 +0200

Hi,

Do you know of any places I can get these kinds of statistics? I'm in the
stages of setting up a local ISP and my upstream ISP said that for the 16
dialups I will have, 64K is enough. From what you say it won't be near th=
an
enough. My upstream should be glad if I would go with a 128 instead of a =
64k
, then why did he suggest it?

Thanks,
Amitai Rottem@ibm.net
From: Barry Buchholz <bearb@mintcity.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 08:34:42 -0400

We ran 15 modems on a 56k Frame relay for 6 months and had little or no
problems. Just don't do newsfeeds on the pipe or other bandwidth heavy
stuff and it should be fine. We have 45 modems (56k) on a 256k FR and have
very low usage still. At night it picks up but still we show less than 50%
utilization at the peak times.

Barry Buchholz
Mint City Internet

At 11:23 AM 8/18/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Do you know of any places I can get these kinds of statistics? I'm in the
>stages of setting up a local ISP and my upstream ISP said that for the 16
>dialups I will have, 64K is enough. From what you say it won't be near than
>enough. My upstream should be glad if I would go with a 128 instead of a=
64k
>, then why did he suggest it?
>
>Thanks,
>Amitai Rottem@ibm.net

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Default page on IIS
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:40:34 -0400

> From: Michael A. Davis Jr. <mike.davis@dcsol.com>
> I just rebuilt our primary web server... added a couple of drives and
> stripped them, and when I got it back up I went to add
> "index.htm,default.html,index.html" to the default document setting in
IIS.
> This is how I have always had it setup... it's that way right now on my
> backup server, but if I have anything other than "default.htm" on the
line
> by itself, the server will not load any default document at all! By the
> way, this is IIS 3.0 on NT4 SP3.

Have you tried stopping/restarting W3SVC?

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Richard Lachance" <richard@vircom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:50:46 -0400

> I just rebuilt our primary web server... added a couple of drives and
> stripped them, and when I got it back up I went to add
> "index.htm,default.html,index.html" to the default document setting in
IIS.
> This is how I have always had it setup... it's that way right now on my
> backup server, but if I have anything other than "default.htm" on the line
> by itself, the server will not load any default document at all! By the
> way, this is IIS 3.0 on NT4 SP3.

Someone once mentionned on this list that using multiple file names
conflicted with the Active Server Page IIS add-on; have you installed ASP?

Regards,

Richard.
Vircom, Inc.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: NT Management
From: Patrick Patterson <pj@ctt-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:00:58 -0500

OK - I have finally reached the point....

How does everyone manage their IIS 4.0 servers? I have had recurring
problems where CGI and/or ASP scripts either eat up too much CPU, memory,
or leak memory. Sometimes I have to reboot the thing because my "physical
memory" is at like 100 KB, grinding to a halt using swap space, I assume.

How do large scale ISPs' manage this? Is there a way to limit how much
any one site can affect the server? Running in a separate memory space
does not seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance-

P.J. Patterson

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: NT Management
From: "Richard Lachance" <richard@vircom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:13:05 -0400

You probably have memory leaks; this should not be happening. Visit's
Microsoft WWW and FTP site
(ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/) to see if you wouldn't
be missing some "hotfix" or patch.

Regards,

Richard.
Vircom, Inc.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 8 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: backup software
From: Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:41:03 -0700

Does anyone have suggestions on a good backup software for NT 4.0?

Preston Korn Jay Creek Productions
preston@jaycreek.com http://www.jaycreek.com
4401 E. Butler Ave. Flagstaff, AZ 86004
520-526-5069
Multimedia and Internet Development
Management and Consultation
"When you want to do it right the first time."

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: backup software
From: "Sam Lowe" <slowe@universalcom.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:38:08 -0500

We use Seagate Software's Backup Exec and love it.

From: Brian Lube <brian@mpinet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:49:27 -0400

I have a question for those of you running IIS4 out there. I'm going to
have over 300 sites installed on my IIS4 server (dual PPro 220, Raid 5 (12G
usable), 256M RAM), and I'm wondering at what point that we will saturate
the available resources on this machine. It takes about 10 minutes for the
server to 'calm down' after a reboot. What I'm worried about is a
degradation of service that we might experience once we reach the 400-600
domain level.

Anyone have experience with this?

Brian Lube
System Administrator
MPInet

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 11 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: PRI ORDERING QUESTIONS
From: Mark DeWar <inetmail@fiber-net.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 13:08:45 -0400

I have one pri currently hooked into a hayes mr200.
We ordered 2 PM-3's and ordered 4 more pri's. They called me today and asked
if I wanted
1 d channel shared or each on its own d channel

and if the b channels selection should be high to low, low to high,
counterclock wise, circulor, or uniform call distribution.

I looked in the pm3 manual but saw nothing saying what or which it should be.

Help apprecitated.

thanks
mark

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 12 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Bill Fisher" <Bill@ExcelSoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:14:15 -0700

I second that. Backup Exec has worked well for us on both a DLT and DAT
drive.

Bill

We use Seagate Software's Backup Exec and love it.

From: "Bill Fisher" <Bill@ExcelSoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:50:03 -0700

We always use Low to high on the channel selection that way we can "see" a
high water mark for line usage. If I run a graph that shows lines as high
as 23 being used, I know that I had that PRI filled. With uniform, the
switch sends the next call to the least used line. May be the best way to
distribute the load to equipment, but hard to track total line usage.
(for me using Emerald anyway)

As for the d channel. I almost went with shared but was told that if the
line providing the d channel goes down, all the other lines sharing that d
channel go down too. Shortly after getting my 2 PRI's one went down and
all traffic was routed to the line that was up. In the process of fixing
the one line the telco brought the other line down. Customers were able
to get back on-line with whatever line was up since each had their own d.
Hopefully that won't happen often. Since in only have 2 PRI lines, I
would have only gained one line by sharing d channels.

YMMV

Sincerely

Bill Fisher <bill@etc.net>
Network Operations Manager
ExcelSoft Technology http://www.etc.net

From: Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:15:07 -0700

Does it backup open files so you don't have to shut down services?

Subject: Re: IIS processor power
From: mwagers@teamhuber.com
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:32:21 -0500

Try monitoring the machines with the performance monitor?

Please respond to ntisp@iea-software.com

To: ntisp@iea-software.com
cc: (bcc: Mitch Wagers/Huber & Associates)

From: mwagers@teamhuber.com
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:37:02 -0500

I may not be correct here, but you should have a single D channel for each
PRI because I don't think (could be wrong) Portmasters have the option they
are talking about.
You want either low to high or counterclockwise, but it actually does not
matter. You have to remember the telco speaks Voice and you want to speak
Data...they usually have no clue. Tell them to run it as default! *grin*

Regards,
Mitch Wagers
Huber & Associates, Inc.
Systems Engineer - MCSE

Please respond to ntisp@iea-software.com

To: inet-access@earth.com
cc: ntisp@iea-software.com, isp-tech@isp-tech.com (bcc: Mitch
Wagers/Huber & Associates)

Subject: adding/replacing individual ODBC drivers
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:00:44 -0400

Is there a way to add a single ODBC driver for a specific db-type (FoxPro's
..dbf for example) if it's not already in the list of installed drivers in
ODBC32? Presently, there are only drivers for MS Access (3.51.102900), MS
ODBC for Oracle (2.73.728301), and SQL Server (3.50.0305).

The machine that this needs to be done on is NT 4.0 SP3 (Intel), IIS4,
MSSQL Server 6.5 SP4, Cold Fusion 3.1.1, ODBC 3.5

On another machine, I have a damaged Access ODBC driver. Can this driver
be reinstalled without reinstalling the whole ODBC set? This machine is
our primary SQL Server and RadiusNT machine, so I'd like to avoid screwing
up ODBC in any way. The two drivers on this machine are MS Access
(3.50.342800) and SQL Server (2.65.0252). This is also NT 4.0 SP3 (Intel)

Thanks for any info...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 18 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Bill Fisher" <Bill@ExcelSoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:24:51 -0700

You have to buy add in modules to backup things like SQL. I believe they
also have an "Open File" manager plug in, but I may be confusing that with
another product. Check out Seagate's web page for the info.
http://www.seagate.com

Bill

From: "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:39:40 -0400

here have a look for yourself and read the article and links in full. This
will show you that IIS server should be able to handle the load you want it to
do.

http://www.builder.com/Servers/NtWeb/?st.bl.fd.se2.rev.1156

>Try monitoring the machines with the performance monitor?
>

>Please respond to ntisp@iea-software.com
>
>To: ntisp@iea-software.com
>cc: (bcc: Mitch Wagers/Huber & Associates)
>Subject: IIS processor power
>

>I have a question for those of you running IIS4 out there. I'm going to
>have over 300 sites installed on my IIS4 server (dual PPro 220, Raid 5 (12G
>usable), 256M RAM), and I'm wondering at what point that we will saturate
>the available resources on this machine. It takes about 10 minutes for the
>server to 'calm down' after a reboot. What I'm worried about is a
>degradation of service that we might experience once we reach the 400-600
>domain level.
>
>Anyone have experience with this?
>

>Brian Lube
>System Administrator
>MPInet

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 20 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: Jeff Woods <jwoods@delta.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:47:33 -0400

Same thing with my backup of choice, Cheyenne Arcserve. Really, its 6 of
1, Arcserve or Backup Exec. I prefer Arcserve for its better support of
tape changers, and its slightly lower price on those add-on modules (such
as the Tape Changer Option, the SQL Backup Agent, and the Open Files Agent).

Both Backup Exec and Arcserve require separate modules for the backing up
of open files, and "open files module" isn't good enough for SQL servers --
you need the SQL server backup module. These modules are about $450 with
Arcserve.

Subject: Re: adding/replacing individual ODBC drivers
From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:05:46 -0700

Josh Hillman wrote:

> Is there a way to add a single ODBC driver for a specific db-type (FoxPro's
> .dbf for example) if it's not already in the list of installed drivers in
> ODBC32? Presently, there are only drivers for MS Access (3.51.102900), MS
> ODBC for Oracle (2.73.728301), and SQL Server (3.50.0305).

Run the FoxPro install (or the Office Install) and only select to
install the ODBC drivers, specially, the Fox pro ones.

> On another machine, I have a damaged Access ODBC driver. Can this driver
> be reinstalled without reinstalling the whole ODBC set? This machine is
> our primary SQL Server and RadiusNT machine, so I'd like to avoid screwing
> up ODBC in any way. The two drivers on this machine are MS Access
> (3.50.342800) and SQL Server (2.65.0252). This is also NT 4.0 SP3 (Intel)

Go to the drivers tab in ODBC and it will tell you the file name of the
MS Access drivers (scroll the right). If you replace that with a known
good and still have the problem, its an issue with Jet, not the ODBC
driver. In that case you'll have to re-install the jet enginer itself
resolve the problem.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 22 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: ISDN & Stuff - QuestionsFrom: John Lange <radadmin@palacenet.net>Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:51:33 -0500

HI & Thanks

I am an ISP, but due to limitations by GTE we cannot do ISDN so I am out ofmy realm here.

We have a computer customer in an area that does support ISDN and I have afew questions. I am going to call their ISP in the morning, but I wouldlike to sound intelligent when I call them.

1. Using and ISDN Router Combo, can a company host there own SMALL web,mail, ftp server?2. Do ISP's usually allocate ip address' with 24X7 Unlimited access?3. Is the 3Com Office Connect 511 a reasonable unit?4. Is there a better choice???

Any other tidbits of info you can lend me???

Thanks againJOhn :}

John C. Lange, Sr. PALACE dot NET, INC.microjl@palacenet.net MICRO-TECH Computers, Inc.608.742.1601 & 6980 1918 New Pinery Roadhttp://www.palacenet.net/ Portage, WI 53901Visit our online store @ http://www.microt.com/Authorized iPSwitch WebVar @ http://www.microt.com/iPSwitch/index.html

--- __o --- _-\<,_ Fastest Service in Town --- (_)/ (_)

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 23 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: RE: ISDN & Stuff - QuestionsFrom: "Lamar Townsend" <lamar@shuttle.com>Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 19:58:37 -0500

John,

We have a number of ISDN customers here that host their own mail servers onISDN and a few that host their web server over it. Usually they want theirwebsites to be on our end of the ISDN so it is faster to whoever is loadingit and if for some reason their ISDN is down their site is still up.Usually they wish to keep their mail servers on their end of the ISDN soall of the inter-office mail does nto have to pass up and down the ISDN.

As for the IP's most of our 24/7 customers are assigned either a subnet of8, 16, or 32 IPs depending on what they need.

The Office Connect 511 is a nice little unit, we sell alot of 3Com stuff,usually the 521 or 531. I have the 521 at home and I have NO complaintsabout it. It connects very well with my 3Com Total Control on the otherend.. :) We also sell the Ascend Pipeline 50's, and 75's to ISDNcustomers. I personally like the Office Connect better, but that is justpersonal preference.

Lamar TownsendMicrogear Computers & Microgear.Netlamar@microgear.net

John Lange <radadmin@palacenet.net> on 08/18/98 06:51:33 PM

Please respond to ntisp@iea-software.com To: ntisp@iea-software.com cc: (bcc: Lamar Townsend/SCOC) Subject: ISDN & Stuff - Questions

[...]

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 24 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Two questions pleaseFrom: "David Thake" <dthake@davmar.com.mt>Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:16:39 +0200

Hi,

I have two questions please.

- Can Seagate backup to a Network drive?

- Does anyone know an easy way to make my NT Uniprocessor setup go toMultiprocessor without a re-install?

Thanks

David Thake

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 25 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: RE: Two questions pleaseFrom: "Matthew Andersen" <mander@logi.net>Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:15:03 -0700

Answers below-Matthew

- Can Seagate backup to a Network drive?Yes as long as you have an account that has access to them.

- Does anyone know an easy way to make my NT Uniprocessor setup go toMultiprocessor without a re-install?There is a util in the Resource kit, called UPTOMP.EXE allows you to go fromUni to Multi processor.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 26 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: Two questions pleaseFrom: "David Thake" <dthake@davmar.com.mt>Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:27:49 +0200

Thanks Matt!

I don't have the Resource kit. Is there anywhere I could get this file?

David-----Original Message-----From: Matthew Andersen <mander@logi.net>To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 8:28 AMSubject: RE: Two questions please