[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 00:00:37 -0700

Message 1: RE: Problems with NT Server
from "Philip de Lisle" <pdelisle@bizonline.net>

Message 2: Re: Sniffer Software
from "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>

Message 3: RE: Problems with NT Serv
from jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)

Message 4: Re: Problems with NT Serv
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 5: DNS bind 8 for NT
from "Carlo Gibertini" <carlo@nw.com.br>

Message 6: Re: Sniffer Software
from "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>

Message 7: RE: Problems with NT Server
from "Huang, John" <johuang@visa.com>

Message 8: Re: Problems with NT Server
from "Adam Breaux" <adam@idomains.net>

Message 9: Any cheap/free packet sniffers ?
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 10: Re: Any cheap/free packet sniffers ?
from John Lange <radadmin@palacenet.net>

Message 11: PDC problems
from Rick Kunze <rkunze@colusanet.com>

Message 12: Reinstalling MSSQL 6.5 -- can it be done?
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 13: Re: Reinstalling MSSQL 6.5 -- can it be done?
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 14: RE: Reinstalling MSSQL 6.5 -- can it be done?
from Endre Palfi <endre@ufonet.net>

Message 15: Re: Any cheap/free packet sniffers ?
from "Kendrick Myatt" <myattk@datatek.com>

Message 16: RE: Sniffer Software
from cyberjac <cyberjac@stc.net>

Message 17: Re: Any cheap/free packet sniffers ?
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 18: PDC problems
from jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)

Message 19: MS IAS
from "David Thake" <dthake@davmar.com.mt>

Message 20: OT: ASP - how do I re-sort database results w/out reissuing query
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 21: Re: PDC problems
from "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>

Message 22: technical question from a newbie
from Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: Problems with NT Server
From: "Philip de Lisle" <pdelisle@bizonline.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:57:41 +0100

> A bigger problem is that it shuts down
> but the service is still running in the control panel

If you have the NT Server Resource Kit then try using Kill.exe from the
command prompt. It takes the process ID from the task manager as a parameter
and has baled me out of trouble on numerous occasions when writing services
:)

Recommended.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Sniffer Software
From: "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:06:47 +0200

Try http://www.assert.ee/netsniffer

I used this when I had some problems with someone attacking me. It's not the
best, but it worked for me. 30 - Day trial (full -version) and only $100.

Juergen

Weiss Internet Services
D-74862 B i n a u
Tel. +49 6263 45036
Fax +49 6263 45037
weiss@wwweiss.de
http://wwweiss.de

From: jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:04:00 -0500

n>> A bigger problem is that it shuts down
n>> but the service is still running in the control panel

n>If you have the NT Server Resource Kit then try using Kill.exe from
n>the command prompt. It takes the process ID from the task manager as a
n>parameter and has baled me out of trouble on numerous occasions when
n>writing services :)

n>Recommended.

I've tried that and it still doesn't help. You kill the process yet the
control panel says it is still running. Thus restarting it is
impossible.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42 9999

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:29:02 -0400

> n>> A bigger problem is that it shuts down
> n>> but the service is still running in the control panel
>
> n>If you have the NT Server Resource Kit then try using Kill.exe from
> n>the command prompt. It takes the process ID from the task manager as a
> n>parameter and has baled me out of trouble on numerous occasions when
> n>writing services :)
>
> From: Jeff Binkley <jeff.binkley@asacomp.com>
> I've tried that and it still doesn't help. You kill the process yet the
> control panel says it is still running. Thus restarting it is
> impossible.

If you're referring to Services, close the window before killing the
process, then reopen it and it should be ok. Or, go into Services, attempt
to stop the service that's acting up, and if that doesn't work, then kill
the process. We had this sort of thing happen with Cold Fusion several
times not too long ago.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: DNS bind 8 for NT
From: "Carlo Gibertini" <carlo@nw.com.br>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:53:13 -0300

Hello,

Is there a version of bind 8 for NT, instead of 4.9.7?

Thanks,

Carlo

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:02:07 -0400

Can anyone tell me the differences between Network Monitor under NT and the
one that comes with SMS? What are the limitations of the NT version?

Thanks....

From: "Huang, John" <johuang@visa.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:48:44 -0700

A little while ago, someone posted a small program which checks the web
service to see if it's running and start it if it isn't. Could someone
post it again?

Thanks (this is a common problem :(

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 8 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Adam Breaux" <adam@idomains.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:54:18 -0400

In fact, if someone has the source, I can expand it to watch any service...

>A little while ago, someone posted a small program which checks the web
>service to see if it's running and start it if it isn't. Could someone
>post it again?
>
>Thanks (this is a common problem :(
>
>> ----------

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Any cheap/free packet sniffers ?
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 01:22:17 +0800

Anybody know of any free or cheap packet sniffers ?

- Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 10 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Any cheap/free packet sniffers ?
From: John Lange <radadmin@palacenet.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:09:17 -0500

HI

I tried Try http://www.assert.ee/netsniffer and it crashed every 10
minutes. It could be that I was running it on the machine that I am having
problems with. One of my techs dl'd a program that had a gui
representation of network connections. I will check & see if he remembers
where.

JOhn :}

Subject: PDC problems
From: Rick Kunze <rkunze@colusanet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:49:12 -0700

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before as I remember it from when I was on
this list before. (I just resubscribed)

In one small network we have, the PDC failed and was replaced. But now the
other machines fail to authenticate indicating that they "can't locate the
PDC."

I thought all I had to do was to delete their references in Server Manager
and re-add them to the domain, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Could someone point me in the right direction on this?

TIA

Rk
*** Azop Corporation, ColusaNET ***
*** 1041 Main St., Colusa, California 95932 ***
*** (530) 458-7766 rkunze@colusanet.com ***

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 12 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Reinstalling MSSQL 6.5 -- can it be done?
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:42:06 -0400

Today I installed MSSQL on one of our servers and something apparently
didn't go right with security because SQL could never read anything from
the security area, so I had no way of logging into it with the sa
username/password (eventhough the services started fine while using the
same username/password combo) or creating users in it, eventhough from what
I could tell, all settings were the same as those on another SQL server we
have.
So, after getting frustrated with it, I reran MSSQL 6.5 setup and chose to
"Remove SQL Server". When the next window came up, I checked the box that
said "Remove files from: ..." and clicked on Resume (theoretically
uninstalling SQL Server and wiping out any databases created by it). Well,
when I went to reinstall MSSQL Server from the CD (tried this also after
rebooting the server), the option to "Install SQL Server and Utilities" as
well as "Install Utilities Only" are grayed out. I have no way of
reinstalling SQL Server! I tried to "remove SLQ Server" again, but that
didn't help; I tried to "Upgrade SQL Server" (which is what option it
defaults to now), but that doesn't get me anywhere, because it needs the
Master db to upgrade (which doesn't exist).

Each time I run the setup, it says "The Setup program has detected that SQL
Server has already been installed by: (my name, company, AND Product ID
Number)". I've looked in the registry and wiped out virtually everything I
could find related to MSSQLServer, though I never did find the PID number
in there.

All I want to do is reinstall SQL Server. I don't need to restore any
databases or anything. I've also been sifting through MS' Knowledge Base
and haven't found any info. Does anyone know a way around this setup
problem??

Thanks,

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 13 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Reinstalling MSSQL 6.5 -- can it be done?
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:45:53 -0400

I just answered my own question:

\sql65\i386\setup /t RegistryRebuild = ON

That takes care of the setup problem.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

----------
> From: Josh Hillman <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
> To: NTISP <ntisp@iea-software.com>
> Subject: Reinstalling MSSQL 6.5 -- can it be done?
> Date: Wednesday, August 12, 1998 5:42 PM
>
> Today I installed MSSQL on one of our servers and something apparently
> didn't go right with security because SQL could never read anything from
> the security area, so I had no way of logging into it with the sa
> username/password (eventhough the services started fine while using the
> same username/password combo) or creating users in it, eventhough from
what
> I could tell, all settings were the same as those on another SQL server
we
> have.
> So, after getting frustrated with it, I reran MSSQL 6.5 setup and chose
> "Remove SQL Server". When the next window came up, I checked the box
that
> said "Remove files from: ..." and clicked on Resume (theoretically
> uninstalling SQL Server and wiping out any databases created by it).
Well,
> when I went to reinstall MSSQL Server from the CD (tried this also after
> rebooting the server), the option to "Install SQL Server and Utilities"
as
> well as "Install Utilities Only" are grayed out. I have no way of
> reinstalling SQL Server! I tried to "remove SLQ Server" again, but that
> didn't help; I tried to "Upgrade SQL Server" (which is what option it
> defaults to now), but that doesn't get me anywhere, because it needs the
> Master db to upgrade (which doesn't exist).
>
> Each time I run the setup, it says "The Setup program has detected that
SQL
> Server has already been installed by: (my name, company, AND Product ID
> Number)". I've looked in the registry and wiped out virtually everything
> could find related to MSSQLServer, though I never did find the PID number
> in there.
>
> All I want to do is reinstall SQL Server. I don't need to restore any
> databases or anything. I've also been sifting through MS' Knowledge Base
> and haven't found any info. Does anyone know a way around this setup
> problem??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh Hillman
> hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 14 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: Endre Palfi <endre@ufonet.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:54:19 -0700

did you look at the registry to see if anything is left there on SQL.
It's usually a safe bet to clean up the old keys in case it didn't
remove everything during the uninstall.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 15 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Kendrick Myatt" <myattk@datatek.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:36:11 -0500

Network Monitor... Comes with NT

-K

>minutes. It could be that I was running it on the machine that I am
having
>problems with. One of my techs dl'd a program that had a gui
>representation of network connections. I will check & see if he
remembers
>where.
>
>JOhn :}
>
>At 01:22 AM 8/13/1998 +0800, you wrote:
>>Anybody know of any free or cheap packet sniffers ?
>>
>>- Danny Sinang
>>

>John C. Lange, Sr. PALACE dot NET, INC.
>microjl@palacenet.net MICRO-TECH Computers, Inc.
>608.742.1601 & 6980 1918 New Pinery Road
>http://www.palacenet.net/ Portage, WI 53901
>Visit our online store @ http://www.microt.com/
>Authorized iPSwitch WebVar @
http://www.microt.com/iPSwitch/index.html

> --- __o
> --- _-\<,_ Fastest Service in Town
> --- (_)/ (_)

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 16 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: cyberjac <cyberjac@stc.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:14:46 -0400

you could try netxray which is available on the net

----------

From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:29:04 +0800

NT Resource Kit says very little about Network Monitor and how it looks
like.

Is it GUI based ?

Can you perhaps privately send me a screenshot of Network Monitor ?

- Danny Sinang

>>minutes. It could be that I was running it on the machine that I am
>having
>>problems with. One of my techs dl'd a program that had a gui
>>representation of network connections. I will check & see if he
>remembers
>>where.
>>
>>JOhn :}
>>
>>At 01:22 AM 8/13/1998 +0800, you wrote:
>>>Anybody know of any free or cheap packet sniffers ?
>>>
>>>- Danny Sinang
>>>

>>John C. Lange, Sr. PALACE dot NET, INC.
>>microjl@palacenet.net MICRO-TECH Computers, Inc.
>>608.742.1601 & 6980 1918 New Pinery Road
>>http://www.palacenet.net/ Portage, WI 53901
>>Visit our online store @ http://www.microt.com/
>>Authorized iPSwitch WebVar @
>http://www.microt.com/iPSwitch/index.html
>>
>> --- __o
>> --- _-\<,_ Fastest Service in Town
>> --- (_)/ (_)

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 18 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:49:00 -0500

-> I know this has been discussed before as I remember it from when I was on
-> this list before. (I just resubscribed)
->
-> In one small network we have, the PDC failed and was replaced. But now the
-> other machines fail to authenticate indicating that they "can't locate the
-> PDC."
->
-> I thought all I had to do was to delete their references in Server Manager
-> and re-add them to the domain, but that doesn't seem to do it.
->
-> Could someone point me in the right direction on this?

Delete each machine from the domain. Then go to each machine and readd them
to the domain from the network section of the control panel. This will
rebuild their ids in the domain. You may need to change them to a
workgroup login first, reboot NT, then readd them to the domain.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 19 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: MS IAS
From: "David Thake" <dthake@davmar.com.mt>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 03:24:20 +0200

Does anyone use the Microsoft Radius Server that comes with the NT Option
pack? If so, have you been able to get it to respect the "dial-in access"
flag that you can set for a user in User Manager? I have users with dial in
disabled in their account from User Manager but IAS continues to
authenticate them.

Thanks

David

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 20 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: OT: ASP - how do I re-sort database results w/out reissuing query
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:20:06 +0800

Hello.

I just developed an ASP that queries a table and displays the results in a
tabular form.

I want to let the viewer of the page to simply click on the column heading
to sort according to the value of the clicked column.

I know I can simply issue another query w/ a different SORT BY clause and
the results would be sorted. But this would again take some time to finish
processing.

Is there a way to re-sort the initail query results without issuing another
SQL query ?

- Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 21 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: PDC problems
From: "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:04:07 -0400

You are suppose to promote a backup domain controller as a primary backup
controller. If you did not have a PDC and BDC working together, you might
have to start from scratch again.

Subject: technical question from a newbie
From: Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:13:34 -0700

I just opened up a small ISP running NT 4.03 and IIS. Lately I've been
having trouble with web sites not being served up or a lot of "Document
contains no data." For example, I try to go to www.microsoft.com/ie/ using
a competitor's dial-up and it comes up fine. When I try to go to the same
place using my new dial-up it serves up some jumbled up java script
language. Any idea where to start looking to fix this?

Preston Korn
520-526-5069