Re: NT install disk from CD?

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:04:14 -0400

> From: Rudy Komsic <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>
> well why do that?
>
> why don't you just go into your BIOS and just set up your boot order to
boot
> from CD-ROM first?
> NT 4.0 and up boots from CD-ROM and therefore you do not need to make
> Installation Disks.

Actually, this isn't always the case. Two of our older HP NetServers have
bootable CDROM drives but if you leave the NT Server 4.0 CD in the drive
and turn it on or reset it, it'll boot up partially, then it'll say "Can't
find NTLDR". At that point, you have to boot up with bootable floppies, or
remove the CD (or of course, boot off the hard drive).

Also in some cases you have to use the disks to boot off of because of
specific installation setup requirements by some NetRaid adapters, etc.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

CD?