Re: Multiple upstreams

Phillip Heller ( (no email) )
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:40:45 -0400

Look into the following:

Cisco 2611 (comes with two 10 Base T interfaces)
WIC-1B-U (one port ISDN BRI with NT1)

and when you're ready to add your own T1:

WIC-1DSU-T1 (single T1 interface with integraded CSU/DSU)

You'll also probably want the IP+ version of CISCO IOS for the added memory
capability.

If you take customer routes from PSI via BGP, then PSI's border router which
is connected to your border router will tell your router via BGP of all the
routes that are directly connected to PSI's network. You would want to do
much the same thing with your friend that you're pulling the ethernet from.

Example:

ISP-A is connected directly to Verio in Los Angeles
ISP-B is connected to PSI out of Washington DC.

If you have taken customer routes and a packet originates from your network
with a destination of ISP-B, your router will know enough to send the packet
through the PSI connection because PSI's router has told your router that
ISP-B is directly connected to another router in it's AS.

Now of course, if one connection dies, your router will know enough to start
sending all the packets through the remaining active connection.

Customer routes doesn't guarantee the fastest routing for all packets, but
it certainly does improve perfomance.

Regards,
Phil
pheller@csonline.net

PS - the NTISP list probably isn't the place to discuss routing and the
such.... if you have any more questions, please email me privately.