Re: Multiple upstreams

Phillip Heller ( (no email) )
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 01:12:33 -0400

I would look into attaching that 128k ISDN line to the Cisco box and run
BGP4. Of course 128k ISDN hardly offsets the speed of the T1, but if you
took customer routes from PSI, you might improve efficiency a bit, and
redundancy _quite_ a bit. Of course you'll need to get PSI and your new
found friend to do BGP sessions with you.

Good luck either way!

Regards,
Phil
pheller@csonline.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Stevenson <stuart@tracent.com>
To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>
Date: Sunday, August 09, 1998 11:20 PM
Subject: Multiple upstreams

We're currently doing a little web hosting via a 128k ISDN and an Ascend
Pipe 50. We have a class C from PSI and have been humming along just fine.
Now we're starting to feel the pressure to add bandwidth and have struck a
deal with a neighbor to pull in a 10-Base-T cable from his 2 T1s.

The plan is to use a Cisco router between our suite and theirs. We can get
another Class C from these guys, but we would also like to keep the PSI
connection as a backup.

We've got a few questions on how to do all this:

1) Is it possible (and reasonable) to have both connections active at the
same time?

2) If so, can we do it and keep the PSI address block with routing via the
new upstream (which is connected to Verio) or get PSI route to our Verio
block?

3) If not, is it reasonable to setup two subnets (1 PSI block and 1 Verio
block) with each virtual server assigned an address in each subnet? I am
thinking if we do it this way, I could have our primary DNS on the Verio
subnet, pointing to Verio addresses, with our "secondary" setup as a primary
on the PSI subnet, with all it's A records pointing to the PSI block. I
know it's twice the work, but (to me anyway) it makes sense and would
provide complete connection redundancy.

Any thoughts from some seasoned pros?

Stuart Stevenson
stuart@tracent.net