Hey, This is funny too!

Endre Palfi ( cyborg@earthlink.net )
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 22:38:12 -0700

Re: What would happen if...
---------------------------
Hey, This is funny too!
-----------------------

Microsoft is a very tough player when it comes to software development.
I read that they used to change their own OS code just to create
conflict with a particular third party software. This was the
appropriate strategy against Lotus when Microsoft entered the
spreadsheet market, that is what one of the books published on Microsoft
claims (which one was it? Hard Drive I think.)

I don't find it a far fetched idea that they would do the same to
Netscape. Bill Gates' first job was hacking mainframes for computer time
would suggest of such a thing to be acceptable and natural to him.
Besides it would be a much more economic solution for him to put two
really sharp debugger guys and have them find some weak spots in
Netscape within a few weeks, throw some additions in the MFC libraries
that abuse those weak spots and include it in the next Service Packs.
(Netscape? Hahhh, for some reason they are not compatible with Windows
98) Poor Netscape guys wouldn't have a clue what's going on until they
find the actual procedure call that breaks when used.

And best of all: Microsoft can update their API's at will when THE NEED
calls for it.

I'm very unhappy that I don't know anyone at Netscape. I would like to
suggest them that if they can't create their own code derived from the
most common aspects of the API then find a different way to pass results
between their components, I'm sure they could come up with many ways to
accomplish that.

..Endre