[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 00:00:30 -0700

Message 1:
from sadaf <sadaf11@yahoo.com>

Message 2: RE: Virus Software
from "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>

Message 3: OT: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 4: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 5: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Richard Davey" <rich@kaliba.net>

Message 6: Re: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
from "Martin" <djmartin@dcdu.com>

Message 7: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>

Message 8: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Richard Davey" <rich@kaliba.net>

Message 9: Re: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 10: RE: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
from ronnie@itexas.net (Ronnie D. Franklin)

Message 11: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>

Message 12: Re: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 13: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>

Message 14: Whois Server on NT?
from will@greennet.net (Will LaSala)

Message 15: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from System Administrator <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>

Message 16: Re: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 17: Re: Virus Software
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 18: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from Matthew Andersen <mander@zso.dec.com>

Message 19: OT: Web Server :Load Balancing
from Jon Nowell <JNOWELL@DIALNET.CO.UK>

Message 20: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)

Message 21: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)

Message 22: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>

Message 23: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 24: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from System Administrator <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>

Message 25: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>

Message 26: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from Endre Palfi <endre@ufonet.net>

Message 27: RE: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
from Endre Palfi <endre@ufonet.net>

Message 28: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from "Majordomo@essex1.com" <majordomo@essex1.com>

Message 29: Re: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 30: Re: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
from Predrag_Janjic@simt.com.mk

Message 31: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from "Paul Rensel" <paul@ixs.nl>

Message 32: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
from Predrag_Janjic@simt.com.mk

Message 33: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 34: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 35: Restrict access by referer
from Darryl Harvey <darryl@myemail.com.au>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: sadaf <sadaf11@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:20:06 +0500

unsubscribe

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: Virus Software
From: "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:33:16 +0200

Hey, use Innoculan from CA/Cheyenne!

Wally

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: OT: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:55:00 +0800

Hello.

Is there such a thing as a leased line slower than 64 Kbps ?

- Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:57:04 +0800

Hi.

A customer of mine can't use his IE 3 because someone entered a password in
the Content Advisor admin settings.

And he can't uninstall IE 3 either because it came with Windows 95.

Anybody know how to get rid of the password ? Any files or registry settings
that need to be poked ?

- Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?
From: "Richard Davey" <rich@kaliba.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:56:20 +0100

> Hello.
>
> Is there such a thing as a leased line slower than 64 Kbps ?

No.
Certainly not in this country anyway (England).

If you don't need that capacity (and let's face it, it's not exactly much
anyway) then look at ISDN2 or depending on your location cable modem.

Cheers,

Richard Davey
Kaliba Netlink

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?
From: "Martin" <djmartin@dcdu.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:05:48 -0400

Yes use Netscape. I am dead serious. I do not like IE nor do I like it=
security structure. I had to uninstall IE 4.0 and reinstall it because=
the browser kept insisting that I could not view a page on our intranet.=
WTF is that about?

But when designing, make sure you make pages that work with both browsers.=
It would be nice if every site out there designed IE crashers. This=
would make IE less popular and we would not have any more problems with=
Microsoft trying to conquer the browser world. Now microsoft and Real=
Networks are in a nice battle. Try installing the G2 player on your=
computer. USE IT. Now install the new media player by microsoft. Your=
G2 player will no longer work.

On 7/29/98, at 10:57 PM, Danny Sinang wrote:

>Hi.
>
>A customer of mine can't use his IE 3 because someone entered a password=
in
>the Content Advisor admin settings.
>
>And he can't uninstall IE 3 either because it came with Windows 95.
>
>Anybody know how to get rid of the password ? Any files or registry=
settings
>that need to be poked ?
>
>- Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:05:35 +0200

You can use a modem leased line with 28.8

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 8 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Richard Davey" <rich@kaliba.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:07:37 +0100

> You can use a modem leased line with 28.8

That is a good point. I've only heard of them referred to as "dedicated"
lines, not leased. I think that gives the wrong impression. But yes, you can
get a dedicated line from your telecoms company that is always in use for
you.

Cheers,

Richard Davey
Kaliba Netlink

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:11:26 +0800

A modem leased line ?

Can please you explain further ? Is this the same leased line that needs a
CSU/DSU at each end ?

- Danny Sinang

>You can use a modem leased line with 28.8

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 10 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: ronnie@itexas.net (Ronnie D. Franklin)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:14:51 -0500

------ =_NextPart_000_01BDBAD9.B9B29500

When asked for a solution, one should not spout his/her likes or dislikes!!!

The answer to your problem is in the attached text file.

Thanks,

Ronnie@itexas.net

------ =_NextPart_000_01BDBAD9.B9B29500

Content Advisor Problems :

There are three ways to fix the content advisor in Internet Explorer, but
this depends on what the actual problem is:
The three different problems are:

1) Content Advisor configuration is missing or invalid.
2) Content advisor won't allow you to see the site
3) Content Advisor prompts you for a password that you have not entered, or
cannot recall entering into it.

Content Advisor is missing or invalid

Click with the right mouse button on the icon labelled THE INTERNET. Click
on the security tab.
Click on the SETTINGS BUTTON in the CONTENT ADVISOR.
You will be prompted for a password. If you chose one, enter it and click
OK, if not, leave it blank and click OK.
For each of the options, Language, Nudity, Sex and Violence, move the slider
bar away from it's original setting and back to that setting again. After
all four have been changed, click APPLY and then OK. Click OK on the
properties dialog. Then when IE is run again, it will not give you the
content advisor message.

Content advisor won't allow you to see the site

If you are in Internet explorer, and have content advisor turned on, then
when you try to access a site that has not been rated, sometimes you will be
prompted for a password, or told that content advisor will not allow you to
see the site. This can be fixed by the following. Click on the View menu in
Internet Explorer.
Click on Options.
Click on the Security Tab.
Click on the Settings button.
You will be prompted for a password. If you remember entering a password for
IE, enter it here, if you didn't, just click OK leaving the password blank.
If it doesn't let you proceed to the content advisor screen, see the final
fix below. Once in the content advisor screen, click on the general tab
along the top of the window. Insert a tick in the "Users can see sites which
have no rating" option.
Click OK.
Click OK on the next window.
Now try and refresh the page. Content advisor will allow it to open.

Content Advisor prompts you for a password that you have not entered, or
cannot recall entering into it.

Click on the Start button
Click Run
Type Regedit and click OK
Click on the Hkey_Local_Machine folder Click on the software folder
Click on the Microsoft folder
Click on the windows folder
Click on the current version folder
Click on the policies folder
Click on the ratings folder
Highlight "key" in right window and delete Click on the file menu and
choose exit regedit Click on the start button
Click on shutdown
Click on restart computer
Click OK
Right click once on "The Internet" or "MSN" icon on desktop choose
properties from the pull down menu
Select the security tab
Click on disable ratings
Click on OK without entering anything when prompted for a password click on
OK when warned that content advisor has been disabled.

From: "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:15:03 +0200

Here in germany you can get a really leased line, your own wire.
But i think a dedicated should do its work too.

Wally
LIPnet

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 12 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:16:15 +0800

Oh, a dedicated dialup connection ?

This would have been the perfect solution, except that our customer is in a
location where they have to make long distance calls to us to get connected
to the internet.

The only solution I see is for them to get a leased line connection to us.
The lowest speed for a leased line connection I know is 64 Kbps, but they
don't need this much bandwidth while they're starting up their operations.
That's why I'm asking if there is a lower leased line speed.

- Danny Sinang

>> You can use a modem leased line with 28.8
>
>That is a good point. I've only heard of them referred to as "dedicated"
>lines, not leased. I think that gives the wrong impression. But yes, you
can
>get a dedicated line from your telecoms company that is always in use for
>you.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Richard Davey
>Kaliba Netlink

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 13 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:20:44 +0200

Just use modems like USR Courier and switch them to leased line operation.
It requires a direct 2-wire connection such as a leased line.

Wally

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 14 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Whois Server on NT?
From: will@greennet.net (Will LaSala)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:39:19 -0400

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about setting one up.
I need to find some software to do this.
And I need to find some documentation on how to do this.
Reason:
We just were delegated 27 .us domains and I need a way for people to lookup
the info (like InterNic) on the different domains.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Will ,,,=^. .^=,,,
Webmaster
GreenNet® ========================================
"Link Locally ~ Surf Globally©" http://www.greennet.net
Come Play On The Best Quake Server in the Northeast
Serving Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire
TEL: 978-363-8898 FAX: 978-363-1225 email:will@greennet.net

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 15 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: RAID 5 Partitions
From: System Administrator <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 98 10:08:56 MST

>From what we can ascertain, a OS bootable/redundant RAID 5
configuration using our 3 9GB drives must be established during
the installation of NT 4.0.

However we see no facility from within
the NT installation process to partition our 3 drives as anything
but FAT or NTFS on a Primary partition.

J.M.

---------------- cut ----------------

At 01:24 PM 7/27/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Paul Sheahan wrote:
>>
>> I haven't seen or heard of an NT bootable RAID5 system. But if it can be
>> done as Tangent says, you can use NTFS or FAT. Use FAT only if you are dual
>> booting another OS that can't support NTFS. Otherwise, always use NTFS as it
>> provides better performance than FAT on any drives over 400 meg, among all
>> of the other security features.
>
>All hardware RAID systems make the RAID drives appear to the OS
>however the RAID is configured. Therefore, you can configure a RAID5
>set with 3 drives (a total of 18gb) to apear as a single 18gb
>hard drive to NT. NT just uses it likes its an 18gb drive.
>
>Software RAID5 is much different and probably what you are thinking
>about.
>
>--
>Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)
> Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com

System Administrator
BITTERROOT INTERNET
http://www.bitterroot.net/about/
http://www.bitterroot.net
OnLine Systems Development, inc.
127 West Main
Hamilton, Montana 59840
(voice)406-363-0216 (fax)406-363-7558
(email)sysadmin@bitterroot.net
<----------------------------------<<<<<<<<

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 16 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:24:49 -0400

> From: Ronnie D. Franklin <ronnie@itexas.net>
> The answer to your problem is in the attached text file.

There's also a URL that has the bit about the registry entry:
How do disable Contnet Advisor without the password:
http://www.erols.com/techinfo/ie/content.htm

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 17 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:31:06 -0400

> From: WINNT <winnt@hotline.net.au>
> I would like some opinions on what is a good virus scanner.
> It MUST be completly compatible with NT4Server and Exchange 5.5 and run
on
> the server.
> I would like it to scan emails (attachments) as they are sent and
recieved.
> We were using Command (f-prot) but it completly corrupted Exchange.

I tried this same sort of thing about a year and a half ago and ran into
mail delivery problems as a result. I had (an older version relative to
today) McAfee NetShield (or something like that) that ran in the background
and scanned everything, including email messages (Post.Office--whatever
version came before 3.0) and messages were constantly getting stuck in the
system. Eventually, I found out that it was the NetShield that was causing
it and disabled it (later uninstalled it completely) and everything was
fine afterward. I don't recall how much of a performance hit there was
because of all of the constant scanning, but the end result was that we
were better off leaving the virus scanning up to the customer. Oh, the OS
was/is NT4 Server with whatever servicepack/hotfixes were available at that
time.
Just my 2 cents worth...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 18 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: Matthew Andersen <mander@zso.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:33:15 -0700

I know you used to be able to get ptp analog lines, you needed a modem
that supported this operation though. Not sure if you can still get
this type of connection though.

Matthew

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 19 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: OT: Web Server :Load Balancing
From: Jon Nowell <JNOWELL@DIALNET.CO.UK>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 17:59:16 +0100

All,

I am specing out a high usage IIS 4.0 Server and am contemplating
installing 2 NIC's to load balance the sites as an aid to performance, I am
unsure as to whether to expect much performance gains and would be
interested to hear of anybody's experience or suggestions on this matter.

Many Thanks

Jon

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 20 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:36:00 -0500

-> Just use modems like USR Courier and switch them to leased line operation.
-> It requires a direct 2-wire connection such as a leased line.
->
-> Wally
->
From: jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:31:00 -0500

-> > Hello.
-> >
-> > Is there such a thing as a leased line slower than 64 Kbps ?
->
-> No.
-> Certainly not in this country anyway (England).
->
-> If you don't need that capacity (and let's face it, it's not exactly much
-> anyway) then look at ISDN2 or depending on your location cable modem.

Digital or analog ? You can get analog leased lines which use analog modems
and run in the 4800, 9600, 19200 bps range.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 22 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:19:26 -0400

Setup your drives as a RAID 5 array BEFORE installing NT. There should be a
utility that comes with your array to let you do this.
Then, when installing NT, it will appear as one large logical drive. NT only
supports FAT and NTFS so choose one or the other during the installation....

>configuration using our 3 9GB drives must be established during
>the installation of NT 4.0.
>
>However we see no facility from within
>the NT installation process to partition our 3 drives as anything
>but FAT or NTFS on a Primary partition.
>
>J.M.
>
>---------------- cut ----------------
>

>At 01:24 PM 7/27/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Paul Sheahan wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't seen or heard of an NT bootable RAID5 system. But if it can be
>>> done as Tangent says, you can use NTFS or FAT. Use FAT only if you are
dual
>>> booting another OS that can't support NTFS. Otherwise, always use NTFS
as it
>>> provides better performance than FAT on any drives over 400 meg, among
all
>>> of the other security features.
>>
>>All hardware RAID systems make the RAID drives appear to the OS
>>however the RAID is configured. Therefore, you can configure a RAID5
>>set with 3 drives (a total of 18gb) to apear as a single 18gb
>>hard drive to NT. NT just uses it likes its an 18gb drive.
>>
>>Software RAID5 is much different and probably what you are thinking
>>about.
>>
>>--
>>Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)
>> IEA Software, Inc. | RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs
>> Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com

> System Administrator
> BITTERROOT INTERNET
> http://www.bitterroot.net/about/
> http://www.bitterroot.net
> OnLine Systems Development, inc.
> 127 West Main
> Hamilton, Montana 59840
> (voice)406-363-0216 (fax)406-363-7558
> (email)sysadmin@bitterroot.net
><----------------------------------<<<<<<<<

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 23 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:33:50 -0700

System Administrator wrote:

> >From what we can ascertain, a OS bootable/redundant RAID 5
> configuration using our 3 9GB drives must be established during
> the installation of NT 4.0.
>
> However we see no facility from within
> the NT installation process to partition our 3 drives as anything
> but FAT or NTFS on a Primary partition.

The hardware comes with software to configure the RAID configuration.
This is typically DOS software that you run from a DOS boot disk
BEFORE you run the NT installation.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 24 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: RAID 5 PartitionsFrom: System Administrator <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 98 13:28:35 MST

Can you format the stipe so that there can be 2 FAT partitions and the rest NTFS. The 1st FAT being used for the OS and the 2nd for an older DOS baseddatabase.

The administration wants the OS on a FAT partition?

If so, can these partitions be made from the NT Disk Administrator afterthe initial installation where the drives have been partioned into 1 largedrive?

Thanks!

J.m.----------------

At 02:19 PM 7/29/98 -0400, you wrote:>Setup your drives as a RAID 5 array BEFORE installing NT. There should be a>utility that comes with your array to let you do this.>Then, when installing NT, it will appear as one large logical drive. NT only>supports FAT and NTFS so choose one or the other during the installation....>>>-----Original Message----->From: System Administrator <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>>To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>>Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 12:07 PM>Subject: Re: RAID 5 Partitions>>>>>From what we can ascertain, a OS bootable/redundant RAID 5>>configuration using our 3 9GB drives must be established during>>the installation of NT 4.0.>>>>However we see no facility from within>>the NT installation process to partition our 3 drives as anything>>but FAT or NTFS on a Primary partition.>>>>J.M.>>>>---------------- cut ---------------->>>>>>At 01:24 PM 7/27/98 -0700, you wrote:>>>Paul Sheahan wrote:>>>>>>>> I haven't seen or heard of an NT bootable RAID5 system. But if it can be>>>> done as Tangent says, you can use NTFS or FAT. Use FAT only if you are>dual>>>> booting another OS that can't support NTFS. Otherwise, always use NTFS>as it>>>> provides better performance than FAT on any drives over 400 meg, among>all>>>> of the other security features.>>>>>>All hardware RAID systems make the RAID drives appear to the OS>>>however the RAID is configured. Therefore, you can configure a RAID5>>>set with 3 drives (a total of 18gb) to apear as a single 18gb>>>hard drive to NT. NT just uses it likes its an 18gb drive.>>>>>>Software RAID5 is much different and probably what you are thinking>>>about.>>>>>>-->>>Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)>>>_________________________________________________________________>>> IEA Software, Inc. | RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs>>> Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----------------------------------->>> System Administrator>> BITTERROOT INTERNET>> http://www.bitterroot.net/about/>> http://www.bitterroot.net>> OnLine Systems Development, inc.>> 127 West Main>> Hamilton, Montana 59840>> (voice)406-363-0216 (fax)406-363-7558>> (email)sysadmin@bitterroot.net>><----------------------------------<<<<<<<<>>>>>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 25 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: RAID 5 PartitionsFrom: "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:05:39 -0400

Just think of the striped disks as 1 large disk. Then you can make as manypartitions, FAT or NTFS as you want...The NT directory can go on either FAT or NTFS.Yes, you can add/remove partitions in DA after NT is installed...

-----Original Message-----From: System Administrator <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 3:28 PMSubject: Re: RAID 5 Partitions

>Can you format the stipe so that there can be 2 FAT partitions and the rest>NTFS. The 1st FAT being used for the OS and the 2nd for an older DOS based>database.>>The administration wants the OS on a FAT partition?>>If so, can these partitions be made from the NT Disk Administrator after>the initial installation where the drives have been partioned into 1 large>drive?>>>Thanks!>>J.m.>---------------->>At 02:19 PM 7/29/98 -0400, you wrote:>>Setup your drives as a RAID 5 array BEFORE installing NT. There should bea>>utility that comes with your array to let you do this.>>Then, when installing NT, it will appear as one large logical drive. NTonly>>supports FAT and NTFS so choose one or the other during theinstallation....>>>>>>-----Original Message----->>From: System Administrator <sysadmin@bitterroot.net>>>To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>>>Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 12:07 PM>>Subject: Re: RAID 5 Partitions>>>>>>>>From what we can ascertain, a OS bootable/redundant RAID 5>>>configuration using our 3 9GB drives must be established during>>>the installation of NT 4.0.>>>>>>However we see no facility from within>>>the NT installation process to partition our 3 drives as anything>>>but FAT or NTFS on a Primary partition.>>>>>>J.M.>>>>>>---------------- cut ---------------->>>>>>>>>At 01:24 PM 7/27/98 -0700, you wrote:>>>>Paul Sheahan wrote:>>>>>>>>>> I haven't seen or heard of an NT bootable RAID5 system. But if it canbe>>>>> done as Tangent says, you can use NTFS or FAT. Use FAT only if youare>>dual>>>>> booting another OS that can't support NTFS. Otherwise, always use NTFS>>as it>>>>> provides better performance than FAT on any drives over 400 meg, among>>all>>>>> of the other security features.>>>>>>>>All hardware RAID systems make the RAID drives appear to the OS>>>>however the RAID is configured. Therefore, you can configure a RAID5>>>>set with 3 drives (a total of 18gb) to apear as a single 18gb>>>>hard drive to NT. NT just uses it likes its an 18gb drive.>>>>>>>>Software RAID5 is much different and probably what you are thinking>>>>about.>>>>>>>>-->>>>Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)>>>>_________________________________________________________________>>>> IEA Software, Inc. | RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs>>>> Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----------------------------------->>>> System Administrator>>> BITTERROOT INTERNET>>> http://www.bitterroot.net/about/>>> http://www.bitterroot.net>>> OnLine Systems Development, inc.>>> 127 West Main>>> Hamilton, Montana 59840>>> (voice)406-363-0216 (fax)406-363-7558>>> (email)sysadmin@bitterroot.net>>><----------------------------------<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----------------------------------->> System Administrator> BITTERROOT INTERNET> http://www.bitterroot.net/about/> http://www.bitterroot.net> OnLine Systems Development, inc.> 127 West Main> Hamilton, Montana 59840> (voice)406-363-0216 (fax)406-363-7558> (email)sysadmin@bitterroot.net><----------------------------------<<<<<<<<>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 26 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?From: Endre Palfi <endre@ufonet.net>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:32:41 -0700

56K

> ----------> From: Danny Sinang[SMTP:danny@uplink.com.ph]> Reply To: ntisp@iea-software.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 7:55 AM> To: NTISP> Subject: OT: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?> > Hello.> > Is there such a thing as a leased line slower than 64 Kbps ? > > - Danny Sinang> > > >

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 27 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: RE: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?From: Endre Palfi <endre@ufonet.net>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:33:20 -0700

maybe installing 4.0 will take care of it or try removing the RegistryKeys.

> ----------> From: Danny Sinang[SMTP:danny@uplink.com.ph]> Reply To: ntisp@iea-software.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 7:57 AM> To: NTISP> Subject: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?> > Hi.> > A customer of mine can't use his IE 3 because someone entered a> password in> the Content Advisor admin settings.> > And he can't uninstall IE 3 either because it came with Windows 95.> > Anybody know how to get rid of the password ? Any files or registry> settings> that need to be poked ?> > - Danny Sinang> >

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 28 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: RAID 5 PartitionsFrom: "Majordomo@essex1.com" <majordomo@essex1.com>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:05:53 -0500

At 01:28 PM 7/29/98 MST, you wrote:>Can you format the stipe so that there can be 2 FAT partitions and the rest >NTFS. The 1st FAT being used for the OS and the 2nd for an older DOS based>database.>>The administration wants the OS on a FAT partition?>>If so, can these partitions be made from the NT Disk Administrator after>the initial installation where the drives have been partioned into 1 large>drive?>>

Hi; I don't think the boot drive can be a striped drive. However, in someapplications making the 1st drive (NT boot) FAT make sense. There are manymore FAT repair tools available then NTFS ones, and you can boot off aWin95 or DOS disk to repair it. Since NT won't let you boot off a drivelarger then 2 Gig there isn't a size problem (except that the FAT table isvery wasteful). Just remember that the security is not as good on FAT, andit not as reliable as NTFS. You can create striped drives anytime after NT is installed using the DiskAdmin.

Good Luck :) R. Laughlin Majordomo@essex1.com Essex Internet Sterling, IL 61081 (815) 625-8893

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 29 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:26:08 -0400

> From: Endre Palfi <endre@ufonet.net>> maybe installing 4.0 will take care of it or try removing the Registry> Keys.

I once tried this with IE 3.0something. I installed 3.0 on top of itselfso that I'd have the option to remove it (IE3 came on the machine), thenremoved it, reinstalled it and got nowhere. Shortly afterward, one of theguys I work with found the link with the fix: http://www.erols.com/techinfo/ie/content.htm

Josh Hillmanhillman@talstar.com

> > From: Danny Sinang[SMTP:danny@uplink.com.ph]> > A customer of mine can't use his IE 3 because someone entered a> > password in> > the Content Advisor admin settings.> > > > And he can't uninstall IE 3 either because it came with Windows 95.> > > > Anybody know how to get rid of the password ? Any files or registry> > settings> > that need to be poked ?

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 30 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: How do I disable the IE content advisor ?From: Predrag_Janjic@simt.com.mkDate: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:43:18 +0200

Try to upgrade the preinstalled version of IE with a file set fromelsewhere, after such reinstallation IE appears in Add/Remove Programs ancan be removed.Predrag JanjicNetworking CoordinatorSIMT d.o.o. SkopjeMacedonia

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 31 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: RAID 5 PartitionsFrom: "Paul Rensel" <paul@ixs.nl>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:51:09 +0200

Dale, others,

what is the best way to set up a fairly fool-proof Radius/SQL system2 PC's which each Radius and SQLserver, have the database replicate from oneSQL to the other, i dont' want to use fail-over software like Vinca,Wolfpack and such.

Or 2 pc's with each Radius, one with SQL and the other with txt files asbackup/second radius and have ake the SQL create new txt files every xxhours ??

Any suggestions ??

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 32 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: RE: Are there leased lines slower than 64 Kbps ?From: Predrag_Janjic@simt.com.mkDate: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:51:05 +0200

Depanding on the distance and quality of the lines the following might wotk - purchasing analog (switched through PABX) line - making a synchronius connection via V.25 (synchr. over switchedline) for example with USR Couriers - adjusting the proper/acceptable fixed speed by dialing string

Predrag JanjicNetworking CoordinatorSIMT d.o.o. SkopjeMacedonia

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 33 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: RAID 5 PartitionsFrom: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:26:10 -0700

Paul Rensel wrote:> > what is the best way to set up a fairly fool-proof Radius/SQL system> 2 PC's which each Radius and SQLserver, have the database replicate from one> SQL to the other, i dont' want to use fail-over software like Vinca,> Wolfpack and such.> > Or 2 pc's with each Radius, one with SQL and the other with txt files as> backup/second radius and have ake the SQL create new txt files every xx> hours ??

Either one will work. YOu can replicate the SQL Server and have bothaccounting ODBC DSNs point to the main, and the only the backup authserver pointing to the replicated (read only) SQL Server.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 34 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: RAID 5 PartitionsFrom: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:30:03 -0700

Majordomo@essex1.com wrote:> > I don't think the boot drive can be a striped drive. However, in some> applications making the 1st drive (NT boot) FAT make sense. There are many> more FAT repair tools available then NTFS ones, and you can boot off a> Win95 or DOS disk to repair it. Since NT won't let you boot off a drive> larger then 2 Gig there isn't a size problem (except that the FAT table is> very wasteful). Just remember that the security is not as good on FAT, and> it not as reliable as NTFS.> You can create striped drives anytime after NT is installed using the Disk> Admin.

Gentlemen (and Ladies), lets clarify something here. I might bewrong, but the initial portion of this thread was talking abouta HARDWARE RAID 5 setup, not a Windows NT Software RAID setup.I believe we are getting things mixed up here and thats why thereis so much confusion. Hardware RAID solutions do not have thelimitations of mirror only and such, since it is completelytransparent to the operating system.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 35 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Restrict access by refererFrom: Darryl Harvey <darryl@myemail.com.au>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:32:04 +1000

I need to restrict access to a sub directory of a IIS site.

I would like to restrict this access based on the referer (HTTP_REFERER) solurkers, must come through a sign on form to gain access etc..

Does anyone know how this can be done.

Perl or similar would be nice, we are not using ASP.

ThanksDarryl