Re: RAID 5 Partitions

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:30:03 -0700

Majordomo@essex1.com wrote:

> I don't think the boot drive can be a striped drive. However, in some
> applications making the 1st drive (NT boot) FAT make sense. There are many
> more FAT repair tools available then NTFS ones, and you can boot off a
> Win95 or DOS disk to repair it. Since NT won't let you boot off a drive
> larger then 2 Gig there isn't a size problem (except that the FAT table is
> very wasteful). Just remember that the security is not as good on FAT, and
> it not as reliable as NTFS.
> You can create striped drives anytime after NT is installed using the Disk
> Admin.

Gentlemen (and Ladies), lets clarify something here. I might be
wrong, but the initial portion of this thread was talking about
a HARDWARE RAID 5 setup, not a Windows NT Software RAID setup.
I believe we are getting things mixed up here and thats why there
is so much confusion. Hardware RAID solutions do not have the
limitations of mirror only and such, since it is completely
transparent to the operating system.