[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:01:48 -0700

Message 1: RE: ISDN Modems
from "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>

Message 2: Re: PM2, Cisco and Multi-link PPP
from "Kevin Ingram" <kingram@cameron.net>

Message 3: Re: PM2, Cisco and Multi-link PPP
from "Kevin Ingram" <kingram@cameron.net>

Message 4: Re: PGP mailer
from "Martin" <djmartin@dcdu.com>

Message 5: Re: PM2, Cisco and Multi-link PPP
from Daniel Wood <dgwood@iwvisp.com>

Message 6: Re: ODBC Security
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 7: Re: PGP mailer
from Greg Stark <stark@generation.net>

Message 8: Disable 8.3 names on FAT?
from "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>

Message 9: Re: PM2, Cisco and Multi-link PPP
from "Martin" <djmartin@dcdu.com>

Message 10: Virus Software
from "WINNT" <winnt@hotline.net.au>

Message 11: BayNetworks Help
from "Jim Covington" <jcoving@doitnow.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: ISDN Modems
From: "Waldemar Born" <WallyB@LIP.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:55:45 +0200

I think the ELSA ISDN TL V.34 is a good choice. If you want something
cheaper, we in germany mostly use AVM ISDN Cards (for private use).
If you want something serious, get a Bintec Brick XS Office or V!CAS.

From: "Kevin Ingram" <kingram@cameron.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:00:59 -0500

There is actually quite a wealth of information on the Internet about it...
if you do a search for various topics (TCP/IP sunbathing, networking, etc)
and sort through it you will probably find all your answers.

Kevin Ingram

From: "Kevin Ingram" <kingram@cameron.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:09:52 -0500

Wow, aren't spell checkers fun! That "sunbathing" in my original message was
originally "subnetting". : )

Kevin Ingram

Subject: Re: PGP mailer
From: "Martin" <djmartin@dcdu.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:04:17 -0400

Yes it's called BSDI!

www.bsdi.com

Sorry I am just sick of NT not having the versatility of unix.

From: Daniel Wood <dgwood@iwvisp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:06:09 -0800

>Thanks for that Dale! :-) Can anybody recommend any good books on subnetting
>and routing? I found TCP/IP for Dummies quite useful, but er, limited in
>it's scope!

I liked Cisco TCP/IP Routing by Chris Lewis published by McGraw-Hill

Dan

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: ODBC Security
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:09:14 -0400

> From: Mark Tran <mpt@pop.gdex.net>
> We just have some new NT box up running IIS4 and just have one question.
As far as I know, when you set up a system DSN anyone can access to it to
modify the database. This can be a serious problem when hosting multiple
sites. Is there anyway to secure the DSN so that only certain user have
access to it.

If your datbases are Access (.mdb or whatever they are), setting NTFS
permissions on them I think will do the trick. If you're using MSSQL
Server, you can assign a plethora of permissions within SQL for read,
write, delete, etc. permissions on a complete table, or individual column,
etc.
Also, make sure that you check out the following page:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/ms98-003.htm

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: Greg Stark <stark@generation.net>
Date: 28 Jul 1998 13:38:31 -0400

"Martin" <djmartin@dcdu.com> writes:

> >Does anyone know if there is a software package out there that will take
> >data from an SSL form, get appropriate public key and send an e-mail
> >message (with the encrypted data) to the customer. I have seen many
> >packages for unix systems, but none for NT. Any help would be appreciated.

I would be interested too if anyone has a COM object out there.

Otherwise I would suggest you write a perl ASP or CGI page. Perl can
fork out to external executables and there are modules for handling
SMTP internally, which you need because there's no standard equivalent
to /usr/lib/sendmail on NT.

There's no particular reason to write it as an ASP instead of a CGI.
People will undoubtedly claim there's a performance advantage, but
that's completely irrelevant if you're doing something relatively slow
like signing or encrypting a message. (Even on NT where fork is
excruciatingly slow: the real reasons threads are so popular on NT.)

greg

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 8 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Disable 8.3 names on FAT?
From: "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:01:34 -0400

NT has a registry option called "NTFSDisable8dot3NameCreation" which you can
set to disable 8.3 file names. This results in ONLY a LONG filename being
created for every new file on the system, reducing overhead.

When you create long filenames on a FAT partition under NT, the 8.3 short
filename is also created (you can view it with "dir/x").

Does anyone know how to turn 8.3 filename creation off on a FAT partition?
Changing the above registry setting doesn't seem to effect this option on
FAT partitions, because I can see a short and long filename appear in either
case.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks....

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Martin" <djmartin@dcdu.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:30:42 -0400

Get tcp/ip from o'reilly and associates.

IN THE REAL WORLD WE USE O'REILLY!!!!

After you read that get tcp/ip for NT (i'll send you the publisher when I=
find the book at home)

Subject: Virus Software
From: "WINNT" <winnt@hotline.net.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:36:31 +1000

Hello List,
I would like some opinions on what is a good virus scanner.
It MUST be completly compatible with NT4Server and Exchange 5.5 and run on
the server.
I would like it to scan emails (attachments) as they are sent and recieved.
We were using Command (f-prot) but it completly corrupted Exchange.

Malcolm Joosse
Technical Director
Hotline Support Pty. Ltd. " Our Service is your Support "
malcolm@hotline.net.au
www.hotline.net.au

| Message 11 |
Subject: BayNetworks Help
From: "Jim Covington" <jcoving@doitnow.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:18:48 -0700

Can anyone help me with a setup problem on a Bay Networks
5399. We cannot get it to accept either dialin or talking to a Radius
server properly.