[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 00:00:27 -0700

Message 1: OT: Cable modem deployment
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 2: Re: OT: Cable modem deployment
from Ric Castagna <ric@viperlink.net>

Message 3: DCOM error help needed
from Kris Kedzierski <kkedzie@comports.com>

Message 4: Re: OT: Cable modem deployment
from Sheryl Stover <sds@iea-software.com>

Message 5: IMail from IPSwitch
from Kris Kedzierski <kkedzie@comports.com>

Message 6:
from Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>

Message 7: Re: IMail from IPSwitch
from "Jeffrey Stevison" <jstevison@emeraldsurf.net>

Message 8: Re: For those using MS-DNS
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 9: IIS locking files
from "Lance Julander" <lists@terragon.com>

Message 10: RE: VopMail or MailSite
from "John Davies" <jgd@rockliffe.com>

Message 11: Re: DCOM error help needed
from "Dan Waldron" <dan@diversified.com.au>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: OT: Cable modem deployment
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 18:50:07 +0800

Hello.

A cable company here wants to offer internet access. They'll be talking with
us regarding the internet stuff, but I don't know anything about cable
modems and the other equipment that the cable company would need in running
it.

Can anyone point me to a site that would explain things ?

Thanks.

Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: OT: Cable modem deployment
From: Ric Castagna <ric@viperlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:04:46 -0400

Well, Danny, that's not a topic that can really be answered in a quick
manner, especially under the confines of this mail list. I was the Chief
Technical Officer for a data-over-cable company here, and maybe I can offer
some information to you, or to that company that would help them achieve
their goals.

If you are interested in discussing this further, please contact me
directly at: ric@castagna.net. I'ld love to talk with you more about this.

/ric

At 06:50 PM 7/2/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Hello.
>
>A cable company here wants to offer internet access. They'll be talking with
>us regarding the internet stuff, but I don't know anything about cable
>modems and the other equipment that the cable company would need in running
>it.
>
>Can anyone point me to a site that would explain things ?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: DCOM error help needed
From: Kris Kedzierski <kkedzie@comports.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:23:11 -0500

Hey,

Does anybody know what might be causing this? After I installed Option pack
with IIS4, I get the following error from the event viewer:

DCOM got error "An instance of the service is already running." attempting
to start service IISADMIN with arguments""in order to run the server:
{A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C922E750}

Prior to that , I didn't have an IIS installed. I checked the registry,
but there is only one instance of that ID as a service.
Anybody knows ?

Thanks
Kris Kedzierski
kkedzie@comports.com

Thanks
Kris Kedzierski
kkedzie@comports.com
Activetech Online

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: Sheryl Stover <sds@iea-software.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:07:27 -0700 (PDT)

I worked for quite a while with Hybrid Networks
(http://www.hybrid.com/) and their CyberMaster2000 Series equipment
for the cable head-end and the end-user. They're one of the oldest
cable modem/cable internet hardware manufacturers around, and have
lines of both two-way and phone return (PRCI) systems.

Com21 (http://www.com21.com/) also offers a full solution of both
consumer and head end hardware and software.

The National Cable Television Assocation (http://www.ncta.com/) has,
in the past, had a lot of good information about new cable internet
products and features as they become available.

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Danny Sinang wrote:

: Hello.
:
: A cable company here wants to offer internet access. They'll be talking with
: us regarding the internet stuff, but I don't know anything about cable
: modems and the other equipment that the cable company would need in running
: it.
:
: Can anyone point me to a site that would explain things ?
:
: Thanks.
:
: Danny Sinang
:
:

Sheryl D. Stover sds@iea-software.com
IEA Software Sales http://www.iea-software.com
509.444.2455 x 51 (voice) Emerald ISP Management Suite
509.624.9903 (fax) RadiusNT

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: IMail from IPSwitch
From: Kris Kedzierski <kkedzie@comports.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 11:24:09 -0500

Hey,

Is anybody using IMail Mail Server from IPSwitch? If so , what do you guys
think about it?

Thanks
Kris Kedzierski
kkedzie@comports.com
Activetech Online

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 10:13:28 -0700

unsubscribe

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: IMail from IPSwitch
From: "Jeffrey Stevison" <jstevison@emeraldsurf.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 13:18:14 -0500

I think its pretty good. I've only been using it for about 3 weeks, but so
far I have had no problems with it. Setup is a breeze. They just changed
their pricing structure though. Before 6/29/98 you could get it for $495
unlimited accounts. Now I think its quite a bit higher.

From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:58:00 -0400

> From: Walter Ray <wray@glblnet.com>
> Where can you get the Hot Fix? I didn't see it on the MS site.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com
/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/nt40/hotfixes-postSP3/
dns-fix/

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

> At 11:09 AM 7/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >> From: rkm <rkm@marshall.net>
> >> Went thru a period of this with one of our servers.. wound up that it
was
> >> after we had added some virtual IP's to the box... DNS service was
> >running
> >> but not working. We removed and reinstalled the service and haven't
had
> >the
> >> problem since. BTW on the reinstall it did pick up all the previous
DNS
> >> records.
> >
> >Make sure you install the post-SP3 hotfix for DNS after you reinstall
the
> >DNS service. We've been using MS DNS since NT4 came out and haven't had
> >single problem with it since 12/96. It acts as our primary DNS and as
> >secondary for a few virtually hosted domains that originally had their
> >primary DNS settings pointing to a Unix machine a while back.
> >
> >Josh Hillman
> >hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: IIS locking files
From: "Lance Julander" <lists@terragon.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 98 13:06:22 PDT

Hi,

We're using IIS 3.0 for our web server. We seem to have a lot of
problems with files getting locked. When we try to work on
popular websites we can't update files because the webserver
seems to have them locked. A lot of times we can't even use
WindowsNT Explorer to delete the files unless we turn off the web
server first.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get around this? While
searching the Net for soultions, I found a registry modification
that somebody mentioned. I tried to contact them to see if it
worked and what negatives were involved. Unfortunately, their
email address no longer works.

This is what they proposed:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters]
"GlobalExpire"=dword:00000000

Has anybody tried this or found any other solutions?

Thanks,

Lance

--------------------------
Lance Julander
Terragon Media
lance at terragon.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 10 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: VopMail or MailSite
From: "John Davies" <jgd@rockliffe.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 15:13:31 -0700

Hi Justin,

>I have looked at vopmail and mailsite. They seem to look and act similar.
>Does anyone have any ideas of which one is better or which has better
>features?

It looks like vopmail has just cloned our successful product, MailSite.
Imitation is the best form of flattery :-)

We've been in this business since May 1995 and we shipped MailSite version 1.0
way back in 1996. Since then we have invested a great deal of time and money on
enhancing the product to meet the needs of our customers. We have over 400,000
users worldwide. We have achieved this success by focusing on delivering a Rock
Solid product that is backed up by Rock Solid support.

If you choose MailSite, you'll become a member of our highly satisfied customer
family. But don't just take our word for it. Ask our discussion list by
sending mailto:mailsite-discuss@rockliffe.com. You can find shortcuts for
joining the discussion list by registering on our website at
http://www.rockliffe.com/mailsite/trial.htm.

Regards, John.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 11 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: DCOM error help needed
From: "Dan Waldron" <dan@diversified.com.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 16:43:53 +1000

Probably off topic, but I just installed IIS 4 two weeks ago, and I have
been wondering about the same error message! It's installed on a clean NT
system.

Rgds
Dan

Dan Waldron