[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 00:00:23 -0700

Message 1:
from asmaayni@cybernet.net.ma

Message 2: Re: BOOTING WITH A RAID 5
from "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>

Message 3: Re: BOOTING WITH A RAID 5
from jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: asmaayni@cybernet.net.ma
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:20:07 +0000

unsubscribe

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: BOOTING WITH A RAID 5
From: "Paul Sheahan" <pesheah@peoples.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:55:32 -0400

Put all of your important apps on the raid 5 drives and don't worry about
any fault tolerance on the boot drive. If the boot drive dies, all you have
to do is put NT back on and all of your data is data is safe on the RAID 5
drives. Backing up the boot drive to tape should be sufficient.

That is the way all of our NT servers are setup.

From: jeff.binkley@asacomp.com (Jeff Binkley)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 08:38:00 -0500

-> Put all of your important apps on the raid 5 drives and don't worry about
-> any fault tolerance on the boot drive. If the boot drive dies, all you have
-> to do is put NT back on and all of your data is data is safe on the RAID 5
-> drives. Backing up the boot drive to tape should be sufficient.
-> That is the way all of our NT servers are setup.

Or do as I often do, use a small boot drive, say 1 gig and then put a second
drive in of the same size and mirror it. We've done that on most of our large
NT database servers which have 40+ Gig RAID arrays on them.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing