Re: Personal Web Page Traffic Quota Limiter

Jeff Brissette ( nblade@user1.inficad.com )
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 02:51:04 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Dale E. Reed Jr. wrote:

> Rudy Komsic wrote:
> >
> > As we have been seeing more and more personal users abusing their web hosting
> > priviledges, we are looking into implementing a personal web host traffic
> > limiter. What it would do is determine if the specified personal client's
> > website had gone over the monthly allowance of web traffic. If he did, he
> > would be referred to our "Client's website had too many hits this month and
> > will return next month" web page.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to the right direction on obtaining software like this for
> > MIIS 4.0?
>
> That fairly dramatic. What I would do is sum the logs each night and look
> for abusers. This could easily be an automatic task each night that emails
> the summary to admin.
>
> What you are desiring would require an ISAPI filter with some kind of
> state capabilities, which takes a lot of overhead to manage.
>
> --
> Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)
> Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com

This would be really the way to go. With the use of a log analyzer tool.
It will be quite clear which directories are the hardest hit. When I help
run a small ISP, I found the log files are all I really needed to see if
someone was abusing the system. I set up the logs to have new ones created
daily, and I generated reports daily, weekly, and monthly, so I could spot
site that ate a lot of bandwidth but was small enough to not be noticed on
the daily report.

just my .05 (inflation rate)