Re: Personal Web Page Traffic Quota Limiter

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 22:34:57 -0700

Rudy Komsic wrote:

> As we have been seeing more and more personal users abusing their web hosting
> priviledges, we are looking into implementing a personal web host traffic
> limiter. What it would do is determine if the specified personal client's
> website had gone over the monthly allowance of web traffic. If he did, he
> would be referred to our "Client's website had too many hits this month and
> will return next month" web page.
>
> Can anyone point me to the right direction on obtaining software like this for
> MIIS 4.0?

That fairly dramatic. What I would do is sum the logs each night and look
for abusers. This could easily be an automatic task each night that emails
the summary to admin.

What you are desiring would require an ISAPI filter with some kind of
state capabilities, which takes a lot of overhead to manage.