Re: uptomp

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:10:19 -0700

Steve Mills wrote:

> If MS. Reno wins her case I think an appropriate punishment would be for
> Gates to have to convert all of the NT computers in the world to
> multi-processors using that wretched uptomp.exe from the resource kit!! I
> should have known better after previously hosing a couple of other
> installations, but being a slow learner I tried again yesterday - same
> result - BSOD and a totally blown installation.
>
> It seems that I finally managed to upgrade before by reinstalling NT, then
> the service pack and hotfixes. If I recall correctly, I had to do something
> during the installation to cause a screen to appear where I could select the
> type of computer I was using. I believe I had to hold down a key, but I
> can't remember what or when. Surprise, but a search of the M$ KB yielded
> zero. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

All you have to do is make sure the correct kernal is on the
drive. Worst case scenario, you are booting the machine with a
floppy, using something like dos2ntfs to get access to the drive,
and then correcting the kernel problem.

I always make sure that the boot partition of the machine is a FAT
partition of a MPS until I get everything going. I've installed
well over 10 MPS machines in the last year and between manually
updating them and using uptomp (with the correct settings, I might
add) everything has went fine. I've only ran into one situation
when we swapped motherboard from a single to a dual that we had
any issues to deal with (and that was minimal at most).

If you research a little what you are trying to do and understand
it before going at it, you'll be better off in the long run.