[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 00:00:57 -0700

Message 16: Diabling ms software compression in RAS
from petar@escape.net.au (Petar Nikolich)

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Index Server
From: Misha <misha@hern.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 02:43:01 -0500 (CDT)

Though if you already have Index Server installed, your Front Page
extentions are likely to be configured to modify the code of all search
pages to use Index server instead of the build it WAIS engine. In this
case searches work on clients machines, but sto working after being
published to the server. A global change to the frontpg.ini telling the
extentions not to modify the code is needed. I believe its
noindexserver=1, but dont take my word on this. Check the resource kit.

Misha
Insync NT SysAdmin

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Barry Buchholz wrote:

> If you are running Index Server on the webserver machine, the search
> function in Front Page will use that for it's search reuslts. If Index is
> not running, then it uses the WAIS search engine built into the FP extensions.
>

> Barry Buchholz
> Mint City Internet
>
> At 07:50 PM 5/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Are there any ideas on how to configure index server to be used with the
> >searches in Frontpage? I really have not found the documentation on
> >Microsofts site helpful.
> >

> > _____________________________ __________________
> > ___ ____/__ __ \__ __/__ | / /__ ____/__ __/
> > __ /_ __ / / /_ / __ |/ /__ __/ __ /
> > _ __/ _ /_/ /_ /____ /| / _ /___ _ /
> > /_/ /_____/ /_/ _(_)_/ |_/ /_____/ /_/

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: virus on nt
From: Misha <misha@hern.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 02:44:56 -0500 (CDT)

Try runing the repair disk (select only Inspect Boot Sector option) and it
should be gone. fdisk /mbr works as well, but I wouldnt recommend it.

Misha
Insync NT SysAdmin

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Wilawal Malainual wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I found virus on Boot Sector in Winnt4.Its name is "welcome_b". Has anyone known how to kill this virus or any idea about clean virus on Boot sector.
>
> Thanks,
> Ann.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Wilawal Malainual" <ann@anew.co.th>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:59:12 +0700

>Try runing the repair disk (select only Inspect Boot Sector option) and it
>should be gone.
I'd tried it already but it didn't work, virus still alive. May be it
infected in partition table? How can i remove it from the partition table?

> fdisk /mbr works as well, but I wouldnt recommend it.
Can I use this command with NTFS?

Thanks,
Ann.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: LT Win Modems
From: "John David M. Miller" <webmaster@samnet.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:04:10 -0400

We are having a heck of a time with the LT Win Modems
installed in the HP Pavillons and Compaq Presarios. We
are running Ascend 4048s with current software. Anybody else
seeing disconnections, system not answering, error? Anyone
come up with a string or other modification that corrects the
problem? It seem to vary from unit to unit. Some connect fine
other will never connect.

I just love all these software based modems.

TIA

John Miller
webmaster@samnet.net

From: "Zak Wolfinger" <zak@cyberlink.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:26:37 -0500

Does anyone have a good 95/NT port of the UNIX "Tail" command?

Zak Wolfinger email: zak@cyberlink.com
CyberLink, Inc. voice: (219) 235-1400
213 S Main Street fax: (219) 235-1599
South Bend, IN 46601 www: http://www.wolfinger.net/zak

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Hardware For Sale
From: "Marvin Anglin" <manglin@atlonline.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:36:30 -0400

We have the following hardware for sale. Please email me in private if
interested. Thanks.

1. Three USR MP16 modem banks (Total of 48 modems)
2. Four 3Com ImpactIQ ISDN External Modems

Marvin Anglin
manglin@atlonline.com
Atlanta On-Line InterNet, Inc.
770-955-3000

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Good Tail port?
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:33:49 -0400

> From: Zak Wolfinger <zak@cyberlink.com>
> Does anyone have a good 95/NT port of the UNIX "Tail" command?

Internet Resources for Windows NT:
http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/Solutions/SoftwarePart/Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/Solutions/SoftwarePart/Tools/maintnce.asp
Unix Utilities section:
UNIX 95 Collection Version 7
(http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/mystuff.html)
At the end of the above page...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 8 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: LT Win Modems
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:41:08 -0400

> From: John David M. Miller <webmaster@samnet.net>
> We are having a heck of a time with the LT Win Modems
> installed in the HP Pavillons and Compaq Presarios. We
> are running Ascend 4048s with current software. Anybody else
> seeing disconnections, system not answering, error? Anyone
> come up with a string or other modification that corrects the
> problem? It seem to vary from unit to unit. Some connect fine
> other will never connect.

What OS version are you using on your Max? The customers may need to
upgrade their firmware code in their modems. We ran into this problem
several months ago with some Compaq modems. They wouldn't connect until
the firmware in them was upgraded (especially K56Flex modems with older
firmware versions). See http://support.talstar.com/56k.html for some info
and links to the manufacturer pages... (the info is useful even if the
modems are V.34)

Right now, the only modems that we know of that refuses to connect to us
are the IBM Aptiva MWave modems.

Yesterday, Ascend released OS version 6.1.0 which includes V.90 version
2.084. Though the V.90 part may not be relevant to the customers that are
having the problems, the OS upgrade in general may take care of some
problems.

I haven't upgraded from 6.0.4 to 6.1.0 yet, but will probably do so in a
couple days.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "John David M. Miller" <webmaster@samnet.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:24:33 -0400

Thanks,

I have done some searches on HP's website. They had
a driver upgrade but not much in the way of a firmware
upgrade.

I will check your link and cross my fingers.

We did the 6.1 upgrade today. So far so good. USR v.90
upgraded modems are connecting at up to 50k.

John Miller
webmaster@samnet.net

>> We are having a heck of a time with the LT Win Modems
>> installed in the HP Pavillons and Compaq Presarios. We
>> are running Ascend 4048s with current software. Anybody else
>> seeing disconnections, system not answering, error? Anyone
>> come up with a string or other modification that corrects the
>> problem? It seem to vary from unit to unit. Some connect fine
>> other will never connect.
>
>What OS version are you using on your Max? The customers may need to
>upgrade their firmware code in their modems. We ran into this problem
>several months ago with some Compaq modems. They wouldn't connect until
>the firmware in them was upgraded (especially K56Flex modems with older
>firmware versions). See http://support.talstar.com/56k.html for some info
>and links to the manufacturer pages... (the info is useful even if the
>modems are V.34)
>
>Right now, the only modems that we know of that refuses to connect to us
>are the IBM Aptiva MWave modems.
>
>Yesterday, Ascend released OS version 6.1.0 which includes V.90 version
>2.084. Though the V.90 part may not be relevant to the customers that are
>having the problems, the OS upgrade in general may take care of some
>problems.
>
>I haven't upgraded from 6.0.4 to 6.1.0 yet, but will probably do so in a
>couple days.
>
>Josh Hillman
>hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 10 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: Walter Parker <walterp@iea.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:26:57 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Try the cygnus software UNIX toolkit.

You can download it for free from www.cygnus.com

-- Walter

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Zak Wolfinger wrote:

> Does anyone have a good 95/NT port of the UNIX "Tail" command?
>
> Zak Wolfinger email: zak@cyberlink.com
> CyberLink, Inc. voice: (219) 235-1400
> 213 S Main Street fax: (219) 235-1599
> South Bend, IN 46601 www: http://www.wolfinger.net/zak

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 11 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "John David M. Miller" <webmaster@samnet.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:38:54 -0400

Looks like HP just updated the software 4/23/98

If anyone is interested in the link it starts here
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/jsnav/pchome.html

Hopefully this will creect the problems.

John Miller

>> We are having a heck of a time with the LT Win Modems
>> installed in the HP Pavillons and Compaq Presarios. We
>> are running Ascend 4048s with current software. Anybody else
>> seeing disconnections, system not answering, error? Anyone
>> come up with a string or other modification that corrects the
>> problem? It seem to vary from unit to unit. Some connect fine
>> other will never connect.
>
>What OS version are you using on your Max? The customers may need to
>upgrade their firmware code in their modems. We ran into this problem
>several months ago with some Compaq modems. They wouldn't connect until
>the firmware in them was upgraded (especially K56Flex modems with older
>firmware versions). See http://support.talstar.com/56k.html for some info
>and links to the manufacturer pages... (the info is useful even if the
>modems are V.34)
>
>Right now, the only modems that we know of that refuses to connect to us
>are the IBM Aptiva MWave modems.
>
>Yesterday, Ascend released OS version 6.1.0 which includes V.90 version
>2.084. Though the V.90 part may not be relevant to the customers that are
>having the problems, the OS upgrade in general may take care of some
>problems.
>
>I haven't upgraded from 6.0.4 to 6.1.0 yet, but will probably do so in a
>couple days.
>
>Josh Hillman
>hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 12 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Adaptec 2940
From: "Bill Appledorf" <bappled1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:14:15 -0700

The local computer store is telling me I can't plug a 9.1 GB UW drive into
the Adaptec 2940 UW controller. They say the 2940 UW can't handle a drive
bigger than 8 GB and that I need an Adaptec 2940 U2W.

Is this true?

Thanks.

Bill Appledorf
billappledorf@usa.net

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 13 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940
From: "Mike@NetDotCom" <mikek@netdotcom.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 17:24:56 -0400

No,

I had a 9GB Micropolis hanging off of a 2940UW for over 2 years.

I would find a more knowledgeable vendor

Mike

>The local computer store is telling me I can't plug a 9.1 GB UW drive into
>the Adaptec 2940 UW controller. They say the 2940 UW can't handle a drive
>bigger than 8 GB and that I need an Adaptec 2940 U2W.
>
>Is this true?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bill Appledorf
>billappledorf@usa.net

| Message 14 |
From: "Bill Appledorf" <bappled1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:13:30 -0700

Since I raised the question, I will share the answer.

The problem is not with the 2940. It is with how Windows 95 computes
gigabytes. Under NT, 9.1 GB drives look like they are supposed to on the
2940.