IIS4 access violation in inetinfo.exe

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 20 May 1998 16:45:06 -0400

....if this message is appearing multiple times, it's unintentional.
ntisp@iea-software.com is rejecting my messages all of a sudden...

I've been pounding my head into all of the walls here lately trying to
figure out what's cauing IIS4 WWW and FTP Publishing services to crash with
a Dr. Watson error. The crashes are inconsistent--sometimes within a few
hours of eachother, sometimes within a few days.
The error that Dr. Watson reports is:

Application exception occurred:
App: exe\inetinfo.dbg (pid=124)
When: 5/18/1998 @ 14:16:33.719
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

I've looked all over MS' support site/KB and have found many other "Access
Violation" references, but none of them point to inetinfo.exe in reference
to iis4 with the exception of one, but it's related to MS Proxy
something--which I don't have installed on the machine to begin with.

I did find something burried in the drwtsn32.log file (currently containing
two IIS4 crashes) that cought my attention, but haven't been able to find
any info on it whatsoever. Here are parts of it that appeared in both

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*
FramePtr ReturnAd Param#1 Param#2 Param#3 Param#4 Function Name
29a1ff88 68599a41 00000002 29a1ffb4 00000000 ffffffff
685b2628 02c7b8f0 00000000 00000000 00000005 00000028

*----> Raw Stack Dump <----*
29a20044 00 b4 09 cd 21 b8 01 4c - cd 21 54 68 69 73 20 70 ....!..L.!This
29a20054 72 6f 67 72 61 6d 20 63 - 61 6e 6e 6f 74 20 62 65 rogram cannot
29a20064 20 72 75 6e 20 69 6e 20 - 44 4f 53 20 6d 6f 64 65 run in DOS

Any ideas what "Tsunami" is??

The same sort of thing happened to us a year and a half ago with IIS3, and
after racking my brains over this one, eventually found an HTML file on the
system that abruptly ended with </FO (beginning of </FONT>). I reloaded
the page on the web a few times and it crashed IIS3 every time. I then
went into the file and and completed the </FONT> tag and added
</BODY></HTML> and the problem went away permanently. If the same thing is
happening now, I can't find it. The last time it happened, I found 2 words
in the drwtsn32.log file all the way at the end that happened to be the
title of the corrupt HTML page. I've already looked at all files that the
log file mentioned (in the same area as the "This program cannot run in dos
mode" above), but haven't come up with any problem files.

Intel NT 4.0 Server with SP3 and various hotfixes...

Thanks for any insight,

Josh Hillman