Re: Poor TCP/IP Performance on 95/NT

Steve Coleman ( (no email) )
Wed, 13 May 1998 15:40:44 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01BD7E85.7E0BE1E0

I don't have security enabled on either of the two NT servers. I have =
the
problem on a 95 station too, it doesn't even have security options.

Dale,

I am not sure that hardware has much to do with my problem. I have =
tried 3
different NIC's and two different hubs. I

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Parker <walterp@iea.com>
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Cc: winnt-l@peach.ease.lsoft.com <winnt-l@peach.ease.lsoft.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: Poor TCP/IP Performance on 95/NT

>I one had a throughput problem with my Windows NT box. If you enable
>security on your advanced TCP/IP settings, it limits your TCP/IP
>throughput greatly (80K with, 300-900K without).
>

>-- Walter
>

>On Wed, 13 May 1998, Dale E. Reed Jr. wrote:
>
>> > Steve Coleman wrote:
>> >
>> > I can't get better than 80Kb/sec on any of our Win95 machines or NT
machines,
>> > using FTP via our T1. Our Linux machine easily gets 130-150Kb/sec.
All
>> > machines are using the same NIC's (905TX) and are connected to the =
same
Hub.
>> > I have read alot about MTU problems with SLIP and PPP with Win95 =
but
can't
>> > find any info on improving TCP/IP on Ethernet.
>>
>> I have gotten 400K plus from Microsoft's FTP site over a DS3. This =
is
>> from an Intel 10/100 NIC (in 10mb mode) and a Xircom on my laptop. =
We've
>> done plenty of stress tests on NICs using wstcp and although unix =
usually
>> beats NT on compatable machines, the hardware has a GREAT deal to do =
with
>> the actual speed.
>>
>> --
>> Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01BD7E85.7E0BE1E0

I don't have security enabled on either of the two NT =servers.  I have=20the
problem on a 95 station too, it doesn't even have security=20options.

Dale,

I am not sure that hardware has much to do =with my=20problem.  I have tried 3
different NIC's and two different =hubs. =20I

Steve