Re: IIS and SSI+

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Fri, 1 May 1998 10:42:18 -0400

> From: Jack Olszewski <jacek@hermes.net.au>
> Does MS IIS3 implements SSI+ (server side includes)?
> If so, how to enable it? If not, does MS IIS4?

IIS 3 and 4 both use SSIs. In IIS 3, the default SSI document is
whatever.stm, but that extension can be changed to .html or whatever you
want by changing/adding a single entry in the registry (we did this so that
we can implement SSIs in .html files). In IIS 4, the same thing can be
done, but it's configurable from the IIS manager rather than poking around
in the registry.

I don't recall the original URL to the docs on using SSIs with IIS, but I
do have a copy of the directory and files (obtained from IIS 3) at:
http://support.talstar.com/ssi
http://support.talstar.com/ssi/isiall.htm
If you do a search on your computer where IIS is installed, search for the
above file...

To make .html (or some other file extension) act as an SSI "enriched" file
in IIS 3.0, open up RegEdit (or Regedt32) and add a new entry or change the
existing entry for ".stm":

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\
Parameters\Script Map

Either change the ".stm" to some other extension like ".html" or create a
new Value with a different extension, but reference the same .dll file that
the ".stm" extension references.

Close the registry editor and stop/restart IIS 3.0

In IIS 4.0, SSIs are configurable on a global basis and/or on an individual
basis for a particular site. At the moment, I don't have a monitor on the
machine that is running IIS 4.0 (it died a week ago) so I can't look at the
settings without disconnecting the monitor on the machine that I'm typing
this on...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com