Re: Could not negotiate compatible set of network protocols

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:16:35 -0400

> From: Ronnie D. Franklin <ronnie@itexas.net>
> Try the following in his extra settings....
> AT&F1&K0&I0S33=32S15=128S27=64S32=34
> We had problems with some X2s and this string limits the connection to
33.6

The problems with some of the USR X2 modems were firmware problems in the
modem itself.

If your customer cannot connect at all, temporarily disable X2 by adding
"s32=34" to the initialization string. A later firmware update fixed this.

If your customer can connect, but the connection seems to go sour after a
while, this is what USR calls "pausing" and is attributed to a V.42 error
control problem in some of the X2 (maybe V.34 too) modems. Temporarily
disable V.42 by adding "s15=128 s27=64" to the initialization string. A
later firmware update fixed this.

All info on this as well as a link to 3Com/USR's firmware updates is at:
http://support.talstar.com/56k.html

Once the users' modems have their firmware updated, you shouldn't run into
any problems anymore (so you can remove any extra settings in the
initialization string).

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com