[Emerald Digest]

emerald-digest-request@iea-software.com
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 00:00:36 -0700

Message 1: Emerald and taxes
from Annabel Mwansa <amwansa@zamnet.zm>

Message 2: Fwd: Emerald & ASP
from Ray Carpenter <ray@systec.com>

Message 3: time conversions
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 4: Re: Ascend Fatal Error and Calls OnLine
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 5: Re: time conversions
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 6: Re: Fwd: Emerald & ASP
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 7: Re: Fwd: Emerald & ASP
from Ray Carpenter <ray@systec.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Emerald and taxes
From: Annabel Mwansa <amwansa@zamnet.zm>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:25:39 +0200

Would anyone have an idea as to how I can update the tax columns
immediately a row is saved to the invoices and invoiceitems table? I have
tried using an insert trigger and it gives "SQL Error Adding main Invoice".

Using an update trigger also proved fruitless as emerald 2.2.38 does not
allow one to make changes to the invoice details even though the 'edit'
option is available. I would like the trigger to pick the tax percentage
specified in the AccountTypes table.

I have very little experience with SQL Server and need to have this working
within the course of the week. Could someone pls help?

Annabel M.

At 18:26 22/07/98 +0200, Daniel Mpolokoso wrote:
>Having gone over the past discussions on this list, I realise there is a
>known problem with the way Emerald 2.2 handles taxes. The reports generated
>indicate $0.00 in the tax column where there should be an appropriate tax
>amount. Further investigations reveal that the tax column in the invoice
>database tables is not updated correctly.
>
>Here in Zambia, we have a 17.5% value added tax (VAT) that is applied to all
>Internet charges unless the customer is VAT exempted. I would be really
>grateful if those of you who have hit this problem can offer possible
>solutions to the problem - I really can't wait any longer for Emerald
>version 2.5. We are currently using the 2.2.38 client and 2.2.31 admin.
>
>Thanks,
>

>Daniel.
>Daniel Mpolokoso - Technical Manager, Email: daniel@zamnet.zm
>ZAMNET Communication Systems Limited, Phone: +260 - 1 - 751751
>P.O. Box 38299, Lusaka, Zambia. Fax: +260 - 1 - 224775

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Fwd: Emerald & ASP
From: Ray Carpenter <ray@systec.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:48:24 -0400

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a dup but I have been having mail problems. I sent this
yesterday but have not received my post as yet.

I'm trying to access a Emerald SQL db from another server running IIS and
asp. The asp page works fine with the db on the same system but when I try
to access the other system I receive an CreateFile() failed. Could this be
that IIS is running under the system account and needs to be running under
a username common to both servers? If so how can one change this? Any
help would be appreciated.

TIA
Ray

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: time conversions
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:41:30 -0400

Is there a way to take an integer like 8625 (representing seconds) and
convert it into something like "2:23:45" using SQL? If at all possible,
I'd like to use this in one of my scripts to show the integer
AcctSessionTime as hours:minutes:seconds (VarChar, I guess). If
AcctSessionTime were some form of Date/Time it would be easy using
CONVERT(whatever), but realistically, it makes sense that it's an integer.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Ascend Fatal Error and Calls OnLine
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 11:25:37 -0400

> From: Albert Churba <Albert@dialisdn.com>
> I'm running the older RadiusNT and have been reluctant to make the
change.
> We are always busy and I'm tired of working at 4:00AM. I guess I'll have
> take the plunge.

Radius 2.5 works much better than the previous versions. What I did was
uninstall RadiusNT (whatever version was out prior to 2.5) and install 2.5
on our backup radius server. After testing it out for a few days
(successfuly), I pointed our Maxes to it for a little while and switched
over to 2.5 on the main radius server, then went back into the Maxes and
mixed the radius server IPs again. I haven't had a single problem with 2.5
that I can think of (ODBC mode with MSSQL 6.5, running as a service).

> I need to use some form of routing protocol since I do dial-out, dial-in,

> and permconn connections across all the Max's. What I found was users
from
> one Max could not route to another Max on the physical Ethernet or WAN.

With the exception of dial-outs, we do some similar stuff and have 7 class
Cs coming in here. All we had to do in the Maxes (and a couple Pipeline
50s) was set up "Ethernet / Static Rtes" in each of the Maxes (not using
RIP or anything).

> RIP was killing our Cisco 3640 router
> bringing it to 90%+ utilization.

I think we had RIP running temporarily, but brought it down because of some
kind or quirk with our Cisco 2501 (maintained and owned by Sprint, our
upstream provider). It's since been replaced by a newer model with more
memory in it and a newer OS, so I have no idea if there'd still be a
problem or not.

> I've been having problems with stacking
> since 5.0Ap13 on up. They said 5.0Ap51 works, yet that puts me back to
> kFlex and not v.90 and kills the Shotgun functionality too.

What kind of problems are you running into with stacking? I just enabled
it a week and a half ago but only played with MP (using modems) one time,
so I don't know if we're experiencing any problems or not. None of our
customers know that we have the ability to MP, so I'm not losing too much
sleep over it at the moment.

> What do you
> have Proxy mode (Ethernet/Mod Config/Ether Options/Proxy Mode set to?

"Always"

> How are you configuring your Pools

We're letting the Maxes handle that stuff (Ethernet / Mod Config / Wan
options). In each of our 3 maxes (4004, 4048, 4002) we have 48 modems and
I gave each Max one IP pool containing 50 IPs (50 instead of 48 just to
make counting easy on our part). All regular PPP accounts are assigned
these addresses (people with dedicated IPs are in one or two other
subnets):
max 1: 11 - 60
max 2: 61 - 110
max 3: 111 - 160

> we use RadiusNT (pools-MAX?), and create
> summary info (also still wrote /32 routes on the RIP updates even with
> static Cisco routes 192.168.64/26 - Defined Pool 1 192.168.65 62).

The only IP-related radius attributes that (a few of) our customers have is

Framed-Address = (some IP)
Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.255
for dedicated IP connections.

> I think there are memory leaks with only 62 channels utilized:
> Diag mode: > pools -v
> Validating free lists...
> 0 errors; 779 buffers; 889184 bytes memory free

After upgrading our Maxes from 5.0Ap42? to 6.0.0, we had problems with IP
address leaks. For a while, I kept increasing the IP pool sizes to
accomodate the problem (there were times that it thought we had 62 IPs in
use when there were only 40something people even online on a single Max
(only 48 modems to begin with on there). I contacted Ascend about this and
they said that there's been that problem for a long time and that one
setting needed to be changed in the Maxes to fix it:
Ethernet / Mod config / Auth
Auth pool = No (ours were set to Yes)
After changing this and resetting the Maxes ("fsave..." then "fclear", then
"nvr") we haven't seen the problem since.

Now, if I could figure out why our first max seems to periodically skip
STOP records, I'd be really happy :)

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

OR
> the Max is physically damaged in some way (from the brownouts).
> I had no desire to turn off concurrency control either, but I had less of
> desire to watch people log in and kill non-existent connections when I'd
> see an "Over Login Limit" pop up. I have no idea what's causing your FEs
> though. Luckily, none of our Maxes have ever had one of those...
> I'm not using RIP or OSPF.
>
> Josh Hillman
> hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: time conversions
From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:16:01 -0700

Josh Hillman wrote:

> Is there a way to take an integer like 8625 (representing seconds) and
> convert it into something like "2:23:45" using SQL? If at all possible,
> I'd like to use this in one of my scripts to show the integer
> AcctSessionTime as hours:minutes:seconds (VarChar, I guess). If
> AcctSessionTime were some form of Date/Time it would be easy using
> CONVERT(whatever), but realistically, it makes sense that it's an integer.

Not that I know of. You might be able to create a stored procedure
to do it.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 6 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: Fwd: Emerald & ASPFrom: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:21:32 -0700

Ray Carpenter wrote:> > Sorry if this is a dup but I have been having mail problems. I sent this> yesterday but have not received my post as yet.> > I'm trying to access a Emerald SQL db from another server running IIS and> asp. The asp page works fine with the db on the same system but when I try> to access the other system I receive an CreateFile() failed. Could this be> that IIS is running under the system account and needs to be running under> a username common to both servers? If so how can one change this? Any> help would be appreciated.

If you are using named pipes as your default protocol, it requiresa pre-authenticated username/password (at user level, before SQL Serveris even involved). You need to either have IIS run as a domain useror user that both machines know about, then it should work correctly.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 7 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: Fwd: Emerald & ASPFrom: Ray Carpenter <ray@systec.com>Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 14:08:51 -0400

Thanks for the reply Dale.

At 09:21 AM 8/5/98 -0700, you wrote:>Ray Carpenter wrote:>> >> Sorry if this is a dup but I have been having mail problems. I sent this>> yesterday but have not received my post as yet.>> >> I'm trying to access a Emerald SQL db from another server running IIS and>> asp. The asp page works fine with the db on the same system but when I try>> to access the other system I receive an CreateFile() failed. Could this be>> that IIS is running under the system account and needs to be running under>> a username common to both servers? If so how can one change this? Any>> help would be appreciated.>>If you are using named pipes as your default protocol, it requires>a pre-authenticated username/password (at user level, before SQL Server>is even involved). You need to either have IIS run as a domain user>or user that both machines know about, then it should work correctly.>>-- >Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)>_________________________________________________________________> IEA Software, Inc. | RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs> Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com>