Re: Bay Networks and RadiusNT

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sat, 07 Mar 1998 20:41:47 -0800

Dave Mitton wrote:

> From RFC 2139, Acct-Status-Type
>
> 1= Start
> 2= Stop
> 7= Accounting-On
> 8= Accounting-Off
>
> Accounting-On and -Off messages indicate the box is starting (or stopping)
> Accounting service. Since they are box wide status, they will not have a
> Username, Port, or Port-Type in them. Typically you will see the
> Accounting-On at boot up. You should also see a couple VSAs in that
> message indentifying the system type and software version. (if you are
> running image R14.1 or better)

If you note below there is NOT a NAS-Identifier or NAS-IP-Address
attribute in this accounting packet. RFC 2139 specified that one or
the other of those MUST be present. Thats the reason why RadiusNT 2.2
is failing to ack the packet (its malformed).

RadiusNT 2.5 basically ignored on/off accounting packets and acks
them.