Re: Sharing a pop can this be done?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:56:41 -0800

Hector Cintron wrote:

> I have a question. We were wondering is this is possible, Having 2 ISP
> share the same POP? if yes how? The only way I see it that it can work is
> somehow it has to know which ISP the user is subcribe and have a virtual
> radius (for lack of a better word). then when the user is calling in the
> Vradius knows were to route the auth (either ISP1 or ISP2) so he can get
> verify and connect.
>
> The only way I can see this working either having the user add something
> unique in the user name (like user@isp1, or user@isp2) or have the POP with
> 2 different numbers (one for ISP1 the other ISP2) then have the vradius
> look at the Nas-Port-DNIS number and route the auth request to either the
> radius of ISP1 or ISP2. Has anyone tried (or doing) this? What software
> can do this?

Its actually fairly common. The typical approach is to use the user's
full email name and proxy the requests to the remote RADIUS servers
based on the @domain part of the login. RadiusNT 2.5 will be able to do
this w/out a problem.

The DNIS is interesting, but typically at that scope the the
RADIUS proxy server has been modified to proxy based on the
port number. For example SWB will sell you a set of ports off
one of thier TNTs or high capacity terminal servers and all you
have to supply is the RADIUS server that they proxy it to.

-- Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)_________________________________________________________________       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com