Re: backup SQL servers?

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 20:20:31 -0500

> From: Carlo Gibertini <carlo@nw.com.br>
>
> The problem with that is: If only the radius service stops, but Nt still
> alive, this doesnt work. The NAS dont pass to the secondary radius.

All of the below refers to RadiusNT...
I don't know what it's like with other NASes, but with Ascend Maxes, there
are 3 IPs for AUTH and 3 IPs for ACCT for radius. If for some reason it's
not getting a response from the first, it'll try the second. If it doesn't
get a response there, it'll go to the third, then to the first... This
DOES occur with NT running just fine. Also, radius could be running
fine--if there's some delay in response time, the Max will switch. This
happens to us all the time. Radius never dies on us, but every so often
the Maxes will have some kind of problem communicating with it (I'm
guessing it times out or something), and accounting and/or authentication
will start going through our backup radius server (if radius is turned on).
As soon as I turn off radius on the backup server, everything goes right
back to the primary (without the primary radius server ever being
disabled/crashed/etc.)

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com