RE: Free BSD?

Philip Thomas ( )
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:15:07 -0700

What about a Linux box running Slackware or Redhat and send mail ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ric Castagna []
Sent: Friday, April 10, 1998 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: Free BSD?

Free BSD and sendmail work pretty good, if you've got them on a fairly high
horsepower machine. I've implemented it in an ISP environment, and it seems
to handle the traffic of 3,000 dial-up users. It doesn't seem to hiccup too

BSDI would be better.

Depending on the size, Post.Office or the MetaInfo Sendmail port to NT
aren't bad options, either. If you don't worry about listservers, take a
look at Mdaemon ( I've also used this program to handle
traffic of probably 5,000 messages (total incoming and outgoing) a week,
and it runs like a champ.