Re: Reverse DNS

Lloyd Brunt ( )
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:11:39 +0000

At 05:20 25/03/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All:
>Is my upline provider having a problem or is it me? I know their was
>a recent chain on this, and at the risk of rehashing old stuff, but
>can someone help with what's happening here?
>I have a user that can't download the 128 Encryption version of MSIE.
>because MS can't verify that my primary server exists. Aren't these
>reverse tables to be located in my uplines DNS for the addresses that
>he initially assigned to me?
>What he told me to do was to put all the temporary IP addresses from
>each NAS port in my DNS as A records, and I've done this, but it still
>doesn't work for the user. For two nights now my tape backup has been
>hanging the server and I've had to reboot at 4:00AM. Oh joy!
Howard, the problem is that your MX record for give an IP
address of MX 10 A

But the reverse lookup gives as the server:

Query:All records (ALL)
Authoritative Answer PTR

I imagine that M$ rejects the download because of this inconsistancy.

-Regards, Lloyd

Lloyd Brunt NTMail/NTList on
Techincal Support NT Products on
Internet Shopper Sales Tel: +44 1275 340333, Fax: 340056