Re: Reverse DNS

Lloyd Brunt ( lloyd.brunt@net-shopper.co.uk )
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:11:39 +0000

At 05:20 25/03/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All:
>
>Is my upline provider having a problem or is it me? I know their was
>a recent chain on this, and at the risk of rehashing old stuff, but
>can someone help with what's happening here?
>
>I have a user that can't download the 128 Encryption version of MSIE.
>because MS can't verify that my primary server exists. Aren't these
>reverse tables to be located in my uplines DNS for the addresses that
>he initially assigned to me?
>
>What he told me to do was to put all the temporary IP addresses from
>each NAS port in my DNS as A records, and I've done this, but it still
>doesn't work for the user. For two nights now my tape backup has been
>hanging the server and I've had to reboot at 4:00AM. Oh joy!

Howard, the problem is that your MX record for iamnow.net give an IP
address of 209.113.165.195:

iamnow.net MX 10 saint.iamnow.net
saint.iamnow.net A 209.113.165.195

But the reverse lookup gives Host4.iamnow.net as the server:

Query:All records (ALL):195.165.113.209.in-addr.arpa
Authoritative Answer
195.165.113.209.in-addr.arpa PTR Host4.iamnow.net

I imagine that M$ rejects the download because of this inconsistancy.

-Regards, Lloyd

Lloyd Brunt NTMail/NTList on http://www.ntmail.co.uk
Techincal Support NT Products on http://www.net-shopper.co.uk
Internet Shopper Sales Tel: +44 1275 340333, Fax: 340056