Re: PM, MAX, or USR

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:40:19 -0600

At 10:52 AM 3/24/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I've worked with all of these products. I don't know that I can say which
>the most popular is, but I definitely like the Ascend Max product the best
>for a number of reasons:
>First, it is way more compact than the USR product, and thus takes up less
>space and is easier to transport.
Well if you measure the height fo the MAX 4048 for the same ports, the MAX
takes up way more space than the USR.

>Second, the first time config is simpler
Using the new script it takes a novice less than 15 minutes.

>Third, they seem to be more easily suitable to special case scenarios, like
>doing FrameRelay, K56, and ISDN out of one chassis.
FrameRelay, x2, v.90, ISDN, xDSL, VOIP all out of the same chassis?
Sounds like a few more than the MAX to me...

>Last, maintainence can all be done from the console (or telnet session) very
>easily, unlike the USR or even the PM3 which tend to be easier (or perhaps
>need) configuration via an SNMP client.
Yes, total management can be performed via telnet, but I still do not know
how on a MAX to view the decode d channel information. I can get that via
SNMP, but I guess that level of management is more than you are looking
for. Or I can view in realtime the actual modem speed as it trains up and
down, but that would not be useful either I guess. For that matter it
might not be useful to have SNMP managemet, then why does Ascend keep
trying on the TNT?