RE: IIS 4.0 & Shared IP addresses

Michael J. Gibbs ( (no email) )
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:47:56 -0800

Host Header Support (a feature of http v1.1) is required on browsers for
this to work properly. This translates to 2.x or better of Netscape and 3.x
or better of Microsoft.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fisher [SMTP:bill@excelsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 1998 2:46 PM
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
Subject: IIS 4.0 & Shared IP addresses

We are getting close to switching most of our hosting to a IIS 4.0
machine (from IIS 3.0) and I want to use the shared IP address feature
to conserve about 50 IPs. Does anyone know of any drawbacks?

I suspect that I will not be sharing people that have FrontPage on
their site and possibly a few other clients. But is there a big reason
to go one way besides marketing's idea of domain hosting and "Virtual"
domain hosting?

Thanks for you input.

Bill Fisher