Re: Need advise on routers

Jonathan D. Manz ( (no email) )
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 09:12:31 -0700

--------------6FDF8A5A573BCEC4F78DCEC2

Jim,

You DO NOT want to use a Cisco 3600 if you will be upgrading to a T3 any time
soon. The 3600 series routers do not support HSSI interfaces (High Speed Serial
Interface capable of T3). To support HSSI, you will need to purchase at least a
Cisco 4500M with IP only IOS software (rec V11.2.X or higher).

Call me if you are interested in pricing. We are tier 1 with Cisco.

Jonathan

James A. Tucker wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I need some advise/experience on routers. My company is looking at setting up
> a T-1 line with AT&T to connect to the Internet backbone. This will be used to
> connect to our web server(s). We plan to upgrade this to T-3 if the bandwidth
> utilization demands. What router should I select for this project? I'm
> currently leaning towards the Cisco 3600. I have some experience configuring a
> Cisco 2511. Our setup will not be too complicated to start. Mainly setting
> static routes to AT&T. I've heard that to start I could even go with the Cisco
> 1600 with the new built in CSU/DSU and replace the unit with a higher end unit
> (36xx) if/when we needed to. What kind of performance would the 1600 give on a
> highly utilized T-1?
>
> My two concerns are:
> 1. The ability to upgrade from T-1 to T-3.
> 2. Ease of configuration and administration.
> 3. Performance.
>
> Any advice is welcome! :)
>
> Thanks
>
> James A. Tucker

--------------6FDF8A5A573BCEC4F78DCEC2

begin: vcard
fn: Jonathan Manz, CNE
n: Manz, CNE;Jonathan
org: XOR
adr;dom: 5766 Central Ave.;;;Boulder;Colorado;80301;
email;internet: jdmanz@xor.com
title: Account Manager
tel;work: (303)448-4831
tel;fax: (303)440-1241
note: "The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra."
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version: 2.1
end: vcard