Re: Need advise on routers

Adam Dillaplain ( adam@texasinternet.com )
Sat, 07 Mar 1998 21:54:07 -0600

Cisco cautions against going that high on a 3640. My advise would be a
4700-M with a split Ethernet/T1 module which you can later upgrade to a ATM
module for the DS3. Or , if you really want to do things right, you can go
with a 7206 and use it to route you ethernet for enhanced intranet
performance.

Adam

At 11:29 PM 3/5/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, a 2501 or 1600 is going to be limited to a T1 anyway, but you will
>never bog down a Cisco unit even if it is maxed out; the processing
>hardware in a 2501 would easily handle an OC3 if they would put that option
>on the unit, I can faigthfully vouch for that. If you want the ability to
>upgrade, go with the 3640, you can go all the way up to mutli-homed ATM/OC3
>backbones with a little bit more leverage on what you can use for routing
>protocols as well.
>

>At 09:55 PM 3/5/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hello everyone.
>>
>>I need some advise/experience on routers. My company is looking at
>setting up
>>a T-1 line with AT&T to connect to the Internet backbone. This will be
>used to
>>connect to our web server(s). We plan to upgrade this to T-3 if the
>bandwidth
>>utilization demands. What router should I select for this project? I'm
>>currently leaning towards the Cisco 3600. I have some experience
>configuring a
>>Cisco 2511. Our setup will not be too complicated to start. Mainly
setting
>>static routes to AT&T. I've heard that to start I could even go with the
>Cisco
>>1600 with the new built in CSU/DSU and replace the unit with a higher end
>unit
>>(36xx) if/when we needed to. What kind of performance would the 1600 give
>on a
>>highly utilized T-1?
>>
>>My two concerns are:
>>1. The ability to upgrade from T-1 to T-3.
>>2. Ease of configuration and administration.
>>3. Performance.
>>
>>Any advice is welcome! :)
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>James A. Tucker

TexasInternet
Texas' Leading Internet Service Provider
Waco, Texas
Phone: (254)399-8700
Adam Dillaplain
adam@texasinternet.com
|Some men see things as they are and ask, "Why?" |
|I dream things that never were and ask, "Why not?" |
| --George Bernard Shaw |