Re: NT time sync

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:37:24 -0500

If the computer is left on most of the time, create a batch file (e.g.
synctime.bat) and put the following line in it:
@net time \\computername /set /y
where 'computername' represents the computername of the machine you are
syncing with. The @ symbol just hides the echo of the command so it
doesn't display as the file loads. Of course you don't have to put it
there though...
Create a shortcut to this file in (or put the file directly into) your
startup directory (in Start menu) for whatever user profiles you want.

If you shut the machine down frequently (at end of each day or whatever),
just stick the above line in the autoexec.bat file if there is one. If
not, create autoexec.bat and put in the above line in it. That way
everytime the machine reboots, the time is synced. Doing it this way saved
you the hassle of creating a separate file and referencing it in the
startup menu...

Every so often, I sync my servers and home computer to our network's
PDC/mail server (NT 4.0). That server syncs with tock.usno.navy.mil every
time I log into the server directly (usually once or twice a day).
Dimension 4 does the syncing with the USNO. I think the address was
already mentioned, but here it is anyway:
http://www.thinkman.com/~thinkman

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com