Re: PPTP and VPN's ?

Vernon Brooks ( merlin@netnevada.net )
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:55:00 -0800

I use it all the time. VPN is used for essentially wrapping a protocol
like NetBEUI in a TCP/IP shell, and sending it over your existing internet
connection. It allows a remote computer to act like a full member on a
corporate lan. For example, if you have a laptop taht you use in your
office, and away, you could dial into any standard internet connection,
then use MS VPN, connect to your lan in your office (who, of course, would
also have a net connection). This does require one of the servers on the
lan to be runing PPTP/VPN stuff, with RAS enabled.

That's the software way of doing it. YOu can also do it in hardware. I
believe much of the Ascend equipment supports VPN. THis would mean that it
oculd be transparent to the customer that they were even going through the
internet at all.

At 03:46 PM 2/19/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Hello.
>
>Can anyone point me to where I can read what VPN's are for ? What advantages
>and pitfalls to look after ?
>
>Has anyone provided such a service for customers already ? Any security
>concerns ?
>

>- Danny

----
* Vernon Brooks - merlin@netnevada.net