RE: DNS

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Sat, 07 Feb 1998 15:04:48 -0600

Do you have a tech net subscription or an ability to search the knowledge
base? One of their main problems and uncompatibility is an issue relating
to correct the Administrator (many have never read BIND) from having
problems with thier config files. It is easy for an administrator (I use
this term loose as many people managing DNS have no clue) to set up a zone
file incorrect. One such instance is when a person points an MX record to
a CNAME entry. Or CNAME entries to CNAME entries in other zones. According
to the protocol, and RFC this is not supposed to occur and while the end
users will timeout, DNS is scalable and UNIX machine performing queries
will not time out the connection. Microsoft realized that people
administrating DNS using their product would not understand DNS and
implemented a timeout for the query. (NON RFC compliant!!!!) This will
result in problems with a UNIX machine performing secondary zones transfers
and other situations. This is to name but 1 non RFC requirement.

Besides I heard that they are in discussions with Fleetwood MAC to rights
to "Go your own way" for Windows 98! Really no joke.

At 02:01 PM 2/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have never been able to get anyone with M$ to admit to any known
problems with their DNS... Could you point me to where they document their
non-compliance? I have never had any trouble, but I only have about 100
zones and they are not too busy...