Re: DNS

Gregory W. Bondy ( (no email) )
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 09:43:28 -0600

If I had a nickel... :) Not your fault, but this is a discussion we go
through once a month or so. Maybe we should compose a FAQ for the list (Or
is there one already?).

At any rate, in answer to your question, there seems to be a rift among the
members of the list bordering on religious hysteria regarding the "right"
port of bind (DNS) to use for NT.

Here's my opinion: Microsoft's included DNS is fairly functional, but I
was forced to change a registry setting (Forget which now) to abandon the
GUI interface and use flat text files because my secondary is a linux bind
daemon and it's infinitely easier for me to understand. There are a few
freeware ports of unix bind floating around, one on
http://www.software.com. There are also very pricey commercial products
that allow web administration and other cosmetic enhancements.
To be honest, due to the fact that they all perform reasonably well, the
performance/ability of the disparate daemons (to me) is not as big of an
issue as are the pricing and interface concerns.

At 09:35 PM 2/2/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Any suggestions for a Domain Name System for NT? What about the DNS
>that comes with NT? Any thoughts?
>
>Beverly Wise
>System's Operator
>S&S Online
>http://www.hyper-drive.com

Gregory W. Bondy
Co-Owner and Systems Administrator
MaelstromNet, a service of DarkWell Communications
postmaster@maelstrom.net, gbondy@maelstrom.net
314-353-2352