Re: what software to give new users

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:00:27 -0500

> From: Rick Kunze <rkunze@colusanet.com>
>
> I'm looking for any comments on the "preferred" software to hand out to
new
> accounts. (Win31, 95, & Mac) Simply state what you are using and any
> comments, via EMAIL please. I think it's time I go with one or the
other.

Windows 3.1x:
MS Internet Explorer 3.03 (full install):
Browser
TCP/IP stack and dialer (MUCH more reliable than Trumpet Winsock)
Mail
News
Fits on 4 3.5" HD disks
http://www.microsoft.com/ie

Windows 95:
In most cases, the computer already has everything needed:
Dial-Up Networking (part of Win95 OS)
MS Internet Explorer 3.0x (most installs will have the following
packaged with it):
MS Internet Mail and News
IF only MS Internet Explorer 2.x or earlier is installed, new versions
of MSIE/MS Internet Mail are downloadable from the net (as well
as Netscape, etc.)
Telnet and FTP (command-line based) are already built into the OS

Mac:
We have one of our customers handle our Mac users since we know nothing
about Macs...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com