Re: Moving Key?

Philip de Lisle ( pdelisle@bizonline.net )
Mon, 05 Jan 1998 21:41:19 +0000

At 15:56 05/01/98 -0500, Zak Wolfinger wrote:
>Should it be possible to backup a SSL Certificate key with the key manager
>and then import it to another server? I need to move my secured site to
>another server, but when I try to import the key (as a backup file, not as a
>keyset) it claims that the password doesn't match. I'm 100% positive the
>password is correct.

I've done this several times and I've experienced this problem once or
twice. The way I solved it was to uninstall IIS and reboot. Then reinstall
IIS 2, install the key from the backup and reboot. Check that it works,
then upgrade to IIS 3. The vital point is to go back the tme most basic
version of IIS.

I've been in touch with the guys at M$oft who wrote the SSL portion of IIS
and they are as mystified as I am as to a) why this should be necessary and
b) why it works!

Hope this works for you. Let me know.

Regards

Philip

--Philip de LisleHost/Web MasterBusiness Online (UK) Ltd  |  Lamaura Developmenthttp://www.bizonline.net  |  http://www.lamaura.comCorporate only ISP and    |  Home of SOS Help! Info-AuthorWeb Management            |  PC User Magazine Gold Award Winner