Re: Web Bandwidth Charges

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Mon, 05 Jan 1998 14:34:22 -0500

At 09:51 PM 1/4/98 -0500, you wrote:

>>2. Not be charged for bandwidth at all. If the site takes up an excessive
>>chunk, then that should be dealt with in another manner.
>
>I agree with you on this, but I have had trouble defining what is an
>excessive chunk, and how to deal with customers like this. How do you deal
>with them? Start charging for bandwidth? Tell the customer to go
>elsewhere?

Significant chunk can be defined as using more than they are paying for.
If a user is paying a flat $24.95 per month, then AT BEST they are entitled
to that pro rata share of the cost of your bandwidth. If you have T3,
bandwidth is cheaper per meg than with T1's, but the math is the same.
Figure out your ENTIRE capacity in megabytes per MONTH (T1 = roughly
300,000 MB) and cost of that bandwidth. Then you know YOUR COST per
megabyte, and can apply that to your customers. It is POINTLESS to carry
a customer when it costs MORE to service the customer than they are paying you.