Re: Exchange Picking Up Email

Douglas Warren ( dwarren@alpha.NetUSA.Net )
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:05:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Juergen Weiss wrote:
> Just take a "normal" email-client to read all mail out of your one POP3-box
> and forward all this mail to a special exchange account.
> I did this with one customer.
> If you want to spent some $ buy a plugin for exchange wich makes the same.
> >Greetings all,
> >
> >I'm new to this list, as we have only brought our first NT server online
> >about two weeks ago, and thought I'd say hi before asking a my first
> >question. (HI!) Now that that's out of the way, we have two companies
> >that recently signed up with us that wish to use an NT server running
> >Exchange to dialup and exchange mail. Now, at this end we use sendmail,
> >and it tries to poll all hosts that it has mail for once every 30 minutes,
> >so for them to receive email via SMTP, they would need to be connected
> >for approx. 30-35 minutes at a time to be sure they received everything
> >that was bound for them. This is fairly unacceptable. What we would
> >do normally is to place all email for the domain in a mail box where
> >the user could retreieve it via POP3 or IMAP using a program like fetchmail
> >or something similiar. Failing that, we would have them run UUCP and
> >send/receive mail that way. What I'm looking is a way to accomplish this
> >under NT, either with Exchange, or with a low cost product that can
> >grab the mail from our server, and then talk SMTP to Exchange and have it
> >routed and delivered over their internal networks properly. Does anyone
> >have any suggestions for this?

The problem with this however is that atleast one of the sites has approx.
500 people at the location, sorting mail like that would be a full time
job for someone. Do you know of the name and where I can find information
about the plugin that would do something like this?

---|Douglas ``Wildcat'' Warren |Email: dwarren@netusa.net|  Jura gur tbireazrag|Network/Security Consultant|Phone: (516) 543-0234    | bhgynjf Pelcgbtencul,|President of SBCS a chapter|  Fax: (516) 543-0274    |  bayl pevzvanyf jvyy|of the ACM.                |  PGP: finger dwarren    |     unir cevinpl