Re: IIS4 upgrade over IIS3?

Kurt A. Butzin, DDS ( (no email) )
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:32:35 -0500

Just unsuccessfully did it the other evening, I mean night, since I had to
do a clean install of NT to straighten the mess out. Couldn't go back to
IIS3, even with rdisk and a tape backup. IIS4 just wouldn't install
completely over IIS3. We have Cold Fusion installed so I don't know it that
caused problems, but I had it shut down along with everything else. IIS4
got about 95% installed and started throwing off errors during the install.
Finished the install, rebooted and the service wouldn't start. Uninstalled
and reinstalled IIS2, then 3, SP3 etc. and IIS3 would not start. Gave up
reinstalled NT to another directory and installed IIS4, still nogo.
Uninstalled, rebooted to the old setup, uninstalled IIS (all versions),
rebooted to the new NT setup hacked the registry to remove any thing
associated with the OptionPac and reinstalled. Rebooted and presto it
works. Hope this helps you out and doesn't cost you the sleep it cost me.
I have installed on three other machines that did not have IIS installed at
the time I started the install and I had no problems. If I were to do it
all over again, I'd uninstall IIS, reboot and install and configure IIS4.

Good Luck,

Kurt A. Butzin, DDS
Molarnet Technologies, Inc. (An Internet Solutions Provider)

kurt@molar.net
http://www.molar.net

kurt@butzin.com
http://www.butzin.com