Re: Win 3.1 and Winmodems

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:03:17 -0500

> From: Mitch Wagers <mwagers@ocsnet.net>
>
> Um....not a good idea to use a winmodem in a 3.1 machine...in fact, I'm
not
> even sure it WILL work. winmodems are designed for 95
> Someone know more?

WinModems do work in Win3.1 machines, but it's a pain and unreliable as
many already know. They're essentially the same thing as the older
RPI-type modems, but instead of using Rockwell chipsets, they're using
USR's own stuff.

Anyway, referring to the problem that was originally stated (can't remember
who posted it), chances are the required software that came with the modem
most likely isn't installed or needs to be reinstalled, since it acts as
the com port and modem. Without that software installed, the modem is 100%
braindead.

Also, what dialer/TCPIP stack is being used? MSIE's dialer/TCPIP stack
sometimes will work with RPI and WinModems. Again, it's a pain dealing
with though.

Hell, on a 133MHz machine, the person shouldn't be using Win3.1 or a
WinModem to begin with!

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com