Re: blank user

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 00:22:20 -0700

Robert H. Clugston wrote:

> I keep getting a blank user in Emerald. It is basically a user without a
> username. I also see this on my PM3 with the show sessions. Yesterday this
> happened twice. Any ideas?

There is an issue with Emerald 2.2 and lower that RadiusNT 2.5 and
higher patches. When SQL Server stores a varchar of "" (blank zero
length string, which is NOT the same thing as a NULL) it changes
it to a " " (string of length one containing a single space). Emerald
2.2 and lower store a blank login, shell, or Email as "" which gets
changed to a single space.

Now, since RadiusNT allows multiple users to have the same login,
shell, or email (note Emerald doesn't allow this at the application
level, but its possible at the database level) it will go through
each record with a match until it finds a matching password. This
is were the infamous scrolling userlist comes into affect.

There are two things to do to correct this problem. First, is
to run a script to change all the " " login, shell, and email
fields to NULL. This is part of the rad25_up.sql script. The
second is to use RadiusNT 2.5 with the trimname option, which
will trim spaces and other things out, preventing this issue before
it gets to the database. Emerald 2.5 and higher will stores these
fields as NULL rather than "" to prevent this problem in the
future. (I know, don't shoot me or complain because I mentioned
it).