Re: Query

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 14:51:43 -0800

Sheldon Edwards wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We were playing arond with the restriction of users to certain groups
> and being competent in SQL, we manage to get this to work. So now users
> are only able to access the groups to which they have been granted
> access to. However, we want to take this a step further and have the
> built-in restrictions such as Read Only and Technical Support working.
> We attempted to implement this but regardless of which option was
> selected, the user was still able to change information. What we are
> wondering is whether this action is occuring because we are running an
> evaluation copy and will a fully paid for version have these working
> features in it.

2.2 only supports the remote option. You will need to either
implement the security at the SQL level, or wait for 2.5 if you
want to have variable access per operation.

The most secure way of doing it is at the SQL level,
since someone could use a program like isql_w to manipulate
the data outside of Emerald.