Re: Converting From Unix

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:00:28 -0800

Jeffrey Betts wrote:

> I have a customer that wants me to convert there isp from
> unix to nt for authentication.So I am fishing for advice. I now
> use emerald on another server at a different isp so I know
> Emerald. By the way what are the current prices of emerald.
> Also I know this is a old subject when is emerald 2.2
> coming out if I convert them I would like to use this version.

Emerald 2.2 beta is available from our ftp site.

> 1. What do I need to ask them about how they authenticate now.

Are they using a passwd file or a seperate users file. If they
are using the unix passwd file (most likely), you can then most
that over to RadiusNT and start the data input process into
Emerald. Then using the password migration option, you can have
RadiusNT store the clear text password in Emerlad once they do a
successful login.

> 2. Is there a way to convert there unix authentication to sql.

Not automatically, but there are some good migration options
like the one listed above.

> All in all any advice would be great it would mean another emerald sale
> and also a great opportunity for me to make some money.

You also need to look at mail and personal web sites if the
ISP is currently allowing for it.