Re: How to correct a mistake

Dusan Janjic ( (no email) )
Sat, 03 Jan 1998 15:45:06 -0500

--------------2385E8A664C7DD4049A2452E

Dale E. Reed Jr. wrote:

> Dusan Janjic wrote:
> >
> > Mistakenly we have expanded our tempdb database to a different
> > (improper) data device, it is now a log device. This is causing us a lot
> > of problems, one we cannot finish our call consolidation. Is it safe to
> > shrink it and then expand it to a proper device. Or better yet, can
> > anyone suggest how to fix this problem. I am simply not sure how to
> > correct this mistake ? Can anyone help?
>
> I don't quite follow whats going on. You can't do what you are
> descibing above. You can expand a log device, but you can't just
> change a data device to a log device. If you have expanded the
> log segment of your tempdb on error (rather than the data segment),
> then you could shrink the tempdb log segment and expand the
> data segment.

Dale,

You are correct. The problem is that now when we try to do what you are
suggesting is that in order to do this we get two error messages. First we are
instructed to start server in a single user mode. When we try to set tempdb in
that mode we get an SQL error 3508 telling us that there are three users using
the database. We are stuck, can you help?

--------------2385E8A664C7DD4049A2452E

begin: vcard
fn: Dusan Janjic
n: Janjic;Dusan
org: Rockbridge Global Village
adr: 17 S. Jefferson;;;Lexington;VA ;24450;U.S.
email;internet: djanjic@rockbridge.net
title: Vice President
tel;work: 540-463-4451
note: http://www.rockbridge.net