Re: Installing Crystal Reports 5.0 Engine

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:16:58 -0800 ()

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Adam wrote:

> I did some research and found out that the Crystal Reports Engine that must
> be distributed with an application like Emerald to be able to print reports
> is a single (large) file: CRPE.DLL (16-bit version) or CRPE32.DLL (32-bit
> version).

Yes. Only CRPE32.dll is required for Emerald.

> There are other ways to do it, but it appears that Emerald uses this method
> (or an Active-X method with the CRYSTL16.OCX or CRYSTL32.OCX file), because
> I found the CRPE files on the server that Emerald is on, in the
> /Winnt/system32 folder.

There is also a crystl32.ocx and crystl32.tbl file that Emerald uses
for the interface.

> MY QUESTION FOR DALE (OR ANY OTHERS) IS THIS:
> Will replacing the CRPE32.DLL engine now on the Emerald server with the
> CRPE32.DLL that I find on the Crystal Reports 5.0 server enable Emerald to
> recognize Crystal Reports 5.0 reports?

It should. I typically just install CR 5.0 on the machine.

> Even if you don't know the answer to this, I can experiment and try it.
> Just wondering -- will this replacement screw up anything else on my
> system, so far as you know?

Let us all now the results.

Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea.com)
IEA Software, Inc. | RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs
Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com