Re: ISDN and Ascend 4K

Alex Assali ( (no email) )
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 11:55:52 -0400

MPP is a protocol used for more than one 64K channels. It is used for ISDN
and routers (Pipline series) that add 64K channels up to its maximum number
of channels. MPP gives the calling end the right to allocate the channels
with no regard to the network traffic(static bandwith algoritm) whether the
MP+ which is a private protocols only between Ascend units gives the called
end the right to allocate
bandwith depending on the caller needs using dynamic bandwith management
algorithm(DBA). For instance, if the caller end traffic is below 64 k it
will be given
one channel. One the traffic increases above 64k or the DBA algoritm(there
are three
of them) on the called unit(ascend) sees(through MP+ protocol) that the
caller unit(ascend) need more bandwith, it will allocates extra channels
for it with
increment defined by the radius parameter Ascend-Base-Count(and increment
count)
up to a maximum channels defined by the Ascend-Maximum-channels parameter.
The point is the DBA will decrease traffic on your network and save you
bandwith.
If you have a customer with Ascend ISDN adapter(eg.NetWarp) and your
customer is a 128k user. It will allocate only one channel for him (64k),
once he needs more bandwith it will allocate the second channel for him.
This way the
second channel is available to another user until this user needs it.

Alex