Re: Blocking Ping and Netbuie

Andrew D. Smith ( (no email) )
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:56:22 -0400

You mean Netbios don't you? As I understand it Netbuie is a seperate
protocol at the same level as IPX/SPX or TCP/IP and Netbios runs over any
of these. Why would you need to use Netbuie on some ser. ports?

Netbios uses 137-140 ports under the IP protocol. I am not sure if this can
be blocked by your router though. Netbios can actually be configuired to
use any port you want as long as it does not conflict with another service.

dschaub@terranet.net