Re: Unauthorized use of SMTP Server

Richard Fink ( rfink@worldpassage.net )
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:55:44 -0700

Many times. Now we use Post.Office 3.01 which has the ability to stop SMTP
Relaying.

Is it legal ?

Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
This email address may not be added to any commercial mail
list with out my permission. Violation of my privacy with
advertising or SPAM will result in a suit for a MINIMUM of
$500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

-Ric

At 02:22 PM 7/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>We have had on two different occasions either USA.NET or one of their
customers using our SMTP server without our permission. They are Spamming
thousands of users and eating up our email server. We have since upgraded
our IMail to prevent this.

>My question is, isn't this illegal? Has this happened to anyone else. If
so, what action have you taken?

>Marvin L. Anglin
>manglin@atlonline.com
>Atlanta On-Line InterNet, Inc.
>770-955-3000

Richard Fink Tel: 415 381-0215
WorldPassage Fax: 415 381-0822
P.O.Box 2339 rfink@worldpassage.net
Mill Valley, CA 94942 http://www.worldpassage.net
WorldPassage is a Premier Internet Service Provider
owned and operated by RainTree Computer Systems, Inc.