Re: HDD Transfer Time?

Jason Hess ( jjhess@laf.cioe.com )
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:22:28 -0500

Adam Dillaplain wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I just built a machine that has 10 9.1 GIG Ultra SCSI (wide) drives. They
> are hooked to a PCI Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide Controller and the integrated
> motherboard equivalent (a 7880 if memory serves). Now here's my questions,
>
> I thought I would write a batch file to test the horsepower of this
> machine. The first file I wrote copied 52.5MB of files to each drive,
> deleted them, and then copied them again in an endless loop. The total
> time to copy all 52.5MB (~100files - the /winnt/system32 directory) was
> exactly 37.2 seconds. That was with 3 instances of the file running,
> staggered over different drives. How can this be? Is it holding the files
> in cache and just spitting them out or what?
>
> I then wrote a VB app that did the same thing except each time it finished
> copying to the 10 drives it would spawn another copy of itself and start
> over - so 2, then 4, then 8, then 16etc, etc copies were running. It
> spawned about 250 copies of itself (ball parking here) and then crashed the
> machine. Again, the orginal app made it in at about 37 seconds.
>
> Can I expect this type of performance for real or is my test flawed?
> Anyone know of a better way to test the time it takes to call a file and
> write it somewhere else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Net.Solutions
> Internet Consulting -- Web Publishing
> Waco, Texas
> Phone: (254)399-8700
> Adam Dillaplain
> adam@ntsolutions.com
> Providers of:
> TexasINTERNET -- Waco's Leading Internet Service Provider
> adam@texasinternet.com

Oh how I envy you and that machine :) With 512MB of DRAM, a 50MB
file should fly pretty fast. I wouldn't exactly expect 37 seconds, but
then again, you are using SCSI all the way (we have found that SCSI has
a dramatic read/write boost of IDE or ATA).
If you need someone to take that machine off your hands and do some
"testing" let me know :)
Jason Hess
CIOE Corporation