Re: Netscape Enterprise...

Danny Mayer ( mayer@mro.dec.com )
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:00:11 -0400

Be warned tha in order to take advantage of multiple IP names
(ie aliases) on a single IP address, the browser must support HTTP 1.1
and not HTTP 1.0. The main difference (at least for this particular
usage) is that it sends the IP name being used (HTTP_HOST) to the
server. The server can take advantage of it only if it receives this
information.

Danny

At 01:18 PM 7/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 10:03 AM 7/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> Is anyone using or tried to use Netscape Enterprise server (and maybe
>>> other Netscape products). What are you're experiences with it
>>

>>If you are looking for an advanced way to host multiple domains
>>(www.poop.com, www.blah.com) on a single IP address, Netscape is the
>>current best way. NS's online host administration is incredible.
>>
>>If you are hosting multiple domains and have plenty of IP addresses to go
>>around, then IIS 3.0 would be the ticket.
>>
>IIS 3.0 can do multi-hosting on a single IP with a small .ASP file. Also,
>IIS/4.0 and Website Pro/2.0 will also be able to do this. Both microsoft
>and O'Reilly have evals for download.
>
>Here's some code I got from somebody regarding multi-hosting on a single IP
>with IIS3.0 and ASP:
>

>Create the following .asp code --that assumes domain2.com is the main domain
>and that domain1 is a sub directory under that root. Then register both
>domains to point to the same IP address.
>
><% domainname = Request.ServerVariables ("HTTP_HOST")
> If domainname = "www.domain1.com" Or domainname = "domain1.com" then
> sitetitle = "domain 1"
> sitepath = "/domain1/index.htm"
> Else
> sitetitle = "domain2.COM"
> sitepath = "default.htm"
> End If %>
><title><%=sitetitle%></title>
></head>
><frameset frameborder="no" framespacing="no" rows="100%,*">
> <frame src="<%=sitepath%>" name="main">
></frameset>
>
>Howie Hamlin
>email: howie@hoot.com
>website: http://www.hoot.com
>phone: (516)737-4668x101
>fax: (516)737-9539

Danny Mayer Digital Equipment Corporation
mayer@mro.dec.com Marlboro, MA 01752